Cincinnati Babies

So I had my thyroid test this morning...

Is it weird that I want them to find something?  It isn't that I want something to be wrong (obviously), but all of my symptoms point to post-partum thyroiditis.  If it's not that, then what?  I just want a reason.  Does that make sense?  I know it sounds crazy.  It's like I'm asking for a condition.  Trust me, I'd rather be in perfect health, but I've been dealing with these symptoms ever since having Ava and I want a reason why--especially for the anxiety. 

I explained to my MW this morning that my anxiety is usually pretty mild, but there are points that it is so bad that I can't be alone with my thoughts or I'll drive myself crazy, so I just avoid quiet times like the plague.  I actually have to make a conscious effort to do this, and this is know way to live.  She did agree that it sounds like my anxiety is more related to a thyroid problem rather than PP depression bc of my other symptoms (inability to lose weight, extreme fatigue even though I get plenty of rest, hair loss... plus I just don't really feel "depressed").  She also said this has been going on too long to just be normal so I do need to follow up with my PCP if my test results do come back normal, and this also stresses me out.  I guess I want this condition rather than something else b/c this is typically pretty easy to treat and deal with, according to her.

Ayway, I guess I just needed to vent--once I do that than I can relax while I await the test results. 

Ava Caroline 8.27.07 I Charlotte Grace 5.18.09 I Lila Katherine 1.20.11

Re: So I had my thyroid test this morning...

• imageadamsbabble:

She did agree that it sounds like my anxiety is more related to a thyroid problem rather than PP depression bc of my other symptoms (inability to lose weight, extreme fatigue even though I get plenty of rest, hair loss... plus I just don't really feel "depressed"). 

PP anxiety is a disorder in and of itself, without PP depression being an issue at all. It doesn't get as much press, but it's just as big of a deal. If your thyroid tests come back normal, why not consider the possibility that it is PP-related? I've never had depression with my anxiety, so I don't see how that's a good reason to discount the possibility.

Charlie 8.06.08
    Emeline 5.28.13

My Blog

Post-Baby PRs
    Esri 5K 7.16.2014 - 21:30
    Heart Half Marathon 3.16.2014 - 1:43:30
    Canton City Marathon 9.8.14 - 3:30:56
  • Kessler - this was sooooooooo me before I went to see my PCP. I was never more relieved when he called and said that, in fact, my thyroid levels were high (which equates to hypothyroidism).  It all made sense; and it affirmed that I DO know my body and I WASN'T crazy.  I hope that you get answers...and soon! 

BTW - my blood work also revealed a pretty severe B12 and Vitamin D deficiency, which only compound my thyroid related anxiety, mood swings, and low energy issues.   

• Loading the player...
  • imagejerseygirl81:

imageadamsbabble:

She did agree that it sounds like my anxiety is more related to a thyroid problem rather than PP depression bc of my other symptoms (inability to lose weight, extreme fatigue even though I get plenty of rest, hair loss... plus I just don't really feel "depressed"). 

PP anxiety is a disorder in and of itself, without PP depression being an issue at all. It doesn't get as much press, but it's just as big of a deal. If your thyroid tests come back normal, why not consider the possibility that it is PP-related? I've never had depression with my anxiety, so I don't see how that's a good reason to discount the possibility.

That is a good question that I didn't think to ask for an answer to, but without having asked about it, the only reason I can guess is that because she is a CNM and not an MD, maybe she only handles the typical post-partum stuff and the rest is out of her scope???  Not sure.  She did say something about "let's take it one step at a time and test your thyroid first" and then went on to say "if it's not that, then I think there may be other things that need to be looked at that I'm not comfortable seeing you for."  To be honest, I'm fine just seeing my PCP about this... the only reason I went to my MW for this test is because the office is closer and a visit classified as "post-partum" would get me out of a co-pay.  HA!

Ava Caroline 8.27.07 I Charlotte Grace 5.18.09 I Lila Katherine 1.20.11

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"