Multiples

should we worry? Baby B's abdomen at 17%

Just got back from a follow-up u/s our MFM scheduled to reevaluate our babies' hearts (they didn't get enough at our big u/s 3 weeks ago). Our boy is measuring fine (23w6d). Our girl (baby B), however, isn't growing proportionally-- her head is in the 42nd percentile, but her abdomen is only in the 17th percentile. The MFM said they usually aren't "really" concerned unless that 17th percentile measurement drops below the 10th percentile. However, I'm a little worried that we're headed in the wrong direction-- 3 weeks ago her abdomen was in the 24th percentile and now it's in the 17th.

The MFM basically said that it is an issue with her not getting enough blood flow (so her head is favored above her abdomen, growth-wise) and that there is nothing I can do to help, other than stay hydrated (I do), rest (I do), and eat well (I mostly do-- maybe I'm not eating enough? or the right things?).

So a) is 17th percentile anything to worry about and b) is there anything I can do to help her grow?

married 03/08/08 -- ttc with PCOS (dx 2005) & DS
IUI #3 gave us the best 2nd anniv. gift ever: 2 babies! (born 03/09/10)
Peanut and Little Man are getting so big! 2 years old already!
finally blogging again at This Will Be: An Adventure

Re: should we worry? Baby B's abdomen at 17%

• Those measurements arent always accurate.  I wouldnt worry too much at this point though I know its easier said than done
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I think these were similar to my girl's measurements. Her abdomen always small and her head big. She is 4 months and perfectly healthy, and has a big chubby tummy by the way (and still a bug head!)
  • Loading the player...
  • I had this same issue but with Baby A.  Her abdomen was smaller for 8 weeks and at one point, was down to 11%. The MFM had mentioned they would monitor me for IUGR if the measurement didnt increase (or went below 10%) but by 27 weeks, the measurement started moving up the growth scale.

One thing the MFM did tell me (and I have no idea if this is true, didnt research it) was that the abdominal circumference measurement is the one they see alot of discrepency on and its not always indicative of a problem, especially if the rate isnt below 10%.  

Im sure everything will end up being ok, I hope her measurement continues to progress at your next u/s

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • OMG - it is like you were at my MFM appointment this morning!! 

Baby A is at 17% for the abdomen.  Don't worry.  Our girls are right on the curve.  These measurements are not 100% acurrate by themselves, which is why they take MULTIPLE measurements and put them through their super fancy model - notice if you have the print out the names that appear next to each body part?  Those are the studies that set the limits and there are 2 or 3 different studies.  They all don't have to be the same.  Our numbers went from 17% to 93% for the cerebelum! 

So, either my babies are very odd looking - or it is just a model. 

• My baby's abdomen also always measured smaller. He was in the 13th percentile, I believe and slowly made it to the 9th maybe or 10th. I was delivered early at 33.6 weeks due to pre-e and he's perfectly healthy. He's a small guy, 3.2oz as compared to his 5.4oz brother, but he's growing right on track.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Boo :(  I'm sorry to hear you had a yuck appointment.  I don't know much about those types of measurements, but I do know measurements can be way off!  The week before our guys were born they said they were exactly the same size.  They came out 1.5 lbs different!  I hope that's the case for you.  Hugs.
    After a PCOS dx, 18 months of trying, 3 rounds of clomid and 2 follistim IUIs our babies are here!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"