Multiples

Lots of Braxton Hicks

I'm a bit disappointed that this is happening to me so early.  I have about 4-6 Braxton Hicks an hour in the evenings as a norm and at times, I have as many as 10 an hour.  Drowning myself in water and changing positions does little to decrease them.  I'm also not working out, not on my feet for too long, but they still come.  They are not painful, but still a major concern, so much so that I almost went to the hospital last night to be monitored (had 7 in 30 minutes), but then was able to get a 9:45 a.m. appointment with my OB and decided to wait.

The good news is that they are not changing my cervical length (as of this morning's appointment).  It is still long and closed.  My OB says that they won't put me on meds until they see cervical changes.  What is more troubling is that she said I may have to go to the hospital to be monitored every time I have an uptick in the Braxton Hicks because it impossible to be sure that everything is ok w/o getting monitored.  I may be in L&D every other day.....

Did anyone have a lot of Braxton Hicks and still go close to full term?  Any stories you can share would be most appreciated.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Lots of Braxton Hicks

• Ohhhh yeah :(  I started getting them around 16 weeks and was shocked.  But I also had a ton with my son.

I really got them bad for a while from 16-24 weeks, then everything slowed down.  I was getting them for a good 45 min to an hour a night before I fell asleep and constantly (like back to back, 10+ in an hour) when I was walking around in the store or something.  I'm thinking they might be partially caused from all the growth. 

Now I only get a couple a day, maybe 7-10 and some of them are barely noticible.  Hopefully yours start to calm down too!  GL!

• I have been having a lot lately too. I'm actually on hold with the nurse right now to see if I can come in....yay, I can go in to the office later this afternoon!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I had ALOT, to the point that I was at L&D almost every week to get monitored. I made it to 35w2d, I only delivered because of pre-e, I never dilated or anything, OB said I had a cervix of steel. He was not concerned by them since they weren't changing anything. Good luck!
    Our Blog TTC since 10/2004 Follistim+Ovidril+Metformin=BFP on 12/8/08 2 heartbeats-12/30/08 Betas- 10DPO-104 12DPO-274 Photobucket Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I'm 32 weeks this week, and I had a couple of weeks (@ 26 - 27 weeks) when I was having BH quite often along with some cramping. My cervix also appeared to be pretty short at my 26 week u/s (and even shorter at a follow-up at 27 weeks) so I had to go up to L&D for monitoring and a fFN test. Everything came back fine/negative, and I'm honestly feeling better now than I was 5-6 weeks ago.

My OB suggested that I take a calcium/magnesium/zinc supplement (3 pills = one serving) in addition to my prenatal vitamin.  I've read that the magnesium (and maybe calcium too) can be beneficial to soft tissue and muscle and that it can help ease BH contractions.  I have no idea if the supplement is actually helping or if it just had a total placebo-effect on me, but I noticed a big difference one I started taking it.  It may be worth looking into.  Good luck!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • This time I started getting them around 12w and increasingly around 20ish.  My OB put me on Procardia because I was having so many.  I came off of BR (went into PTL at 32w4d) and off of Procardia on T-Giving (36w) and I'm still here as of 36w4d.  None of us thought I'd last this long.
  • I went to L&D for frequent BH contractions at 27 weeks.  Prior to that, I had them frequently, but wasn't really sure if they were BH or not.  Anyway, at 27 weeks, the monitor showed I was having them every 3 minutes, even though I didn't feel half of them.  Thankfully, my cervix was closed and I had no other signs of PTL.  My peri chose to put me on modified bedrest, to monitor my cervix weekly, and to hold off on medication unless there were changes to my cervix.  The BH continued throughout my pregnancy (and everytime I was monitored they were happening every 3 minutes), but really caused me no issues, except for some discomfort.  My girls came on their own at 36w5d, spent no time in the NICU, and came home with me two days later.   
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"