Breastfeeding

If you EP

Hi all,

I am just wondering if you Exclusively Pump - how long did it take for your milk to come in (I know with nursing it's about 3-5 days but I am told it may be longer if you are pumping instead). 

Also, I would like to know if you needed to supplement with formula in the beginning at all until you had a full supply (since they apparently take more from a bottle than the breast). 

And how long did it take you to get a full supply (my understanding of this is about 24oz in a day).

Oh, and one more:  I assume you took your pump with you to the hospital - how often did you pump in the first days while your milk was coming in.

TIA ladies!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: If you EP

•  

I am just wondering if you Exclusively Pump - how long did it take for your milk to come in (I know with nursing it's about 3-5 days but I am told it may be longer if you are pumping instead).   4 days

Also, I would like to know if you needed to supplement with formula in the beginning at all until you had a full supply (since they apparently take more from a bottle than the breast).   I supplemented.  He had straight formula until day 5 when I was able to do about 1/2 formula and 1/2 BM.  By day 6 he was on BM only and has been ever since.

And how long did it take you to get a full supply (my understanding of this is about 24oz in a day).  Almost right away.  I went from getting a tiny bit to a full supply w/in a couple days.

Oh, and one more:  I assume you took your pump with you to the hospital - how often did you pump in the first days while your milk was coming in.  I rented a Medela Symphony for the first 6 weeks just b/c I wanted to make sure that pumping was going to work for me before buying a pump.  If you have one, definitely take it with you.  I pumped every 3 hours around the clock for the first several weeks. 

• well i tried to BF first, but after 3 days i started EPing. it took about 4 days for my milk to come in.

i did supplement w/ formula only because i hadnt intended on EPing, so when BFing didnt work, i was about to give up and formula feed. i think i supplement for a couple days after getting my pump, then DS got EBM. it helped getting a double electric pump. my hand pump gave me almost no milk.

well i got as much as he needed almost right away. i dont know the ounces ... it seemed like a little, i think i got 3oz in total every two hours, but thats what he was eating so it worked out fine.

i didnt have a pump at the hospital, but for the first month and a half or so, i pumped around the clock every two hours, just as if i was feeding a baby

• Loading the player...
  • I did not plan on EPing, but I am.  Had DS on a Wednesday afternoon; tried to BF for several days but it didn't work for us.  Started to supplement and pump on Saturday morning due to DS's weight loss.  Continued to pump colostrum and supplement it with formula to get to a total of 30 ml every feeding until I was pumping 30 ml of colostrum and then just used that.  Milk started to come in on Sunday night or Monday.  I was able to stop supplementing as my milk came in.  Starting about 3 weeks ago I've been pumping 40+ ounces a day.  I have 350+ frozen right now. 

I pump roughly every 4 hours; 5-6 times a day.  

• I EP'ed for DS as well as DD so I will answer for both.

I am just wondering if you Exclusively Pump - how long did it take for your milk to come in (I know with nursing it's about 3-5 days but I am told it may be longer if you are pumping instead).  DS it was around 4-5 days PP.  DD it was 1 day PP.

Also, I would like to know if you needed to supplement with formula in the beginning at all until you had a full supply (since they apparently take more from a bottle than the breast).  For both LO's they got formula overnight.  With DS in the beginning we did have to supplement the BM with formula to make a full bottle.  With DD I got enough milk right off the bat so we didn't have to supplement to make a full bottle.

And how long did it take you to get a full supply (my understanding of this is about 24oz in a day).  DS I can't remember exactly but it was at least a couple of weeks PP.  With DD I was getting at least 50oz a day from the first day.

Oh, and one more:  I assume you took your pump with you to the hospital - how often did you pump in the first days while your milk was coming in.  I did not bring my pump to the hospital either time.  It was too much to worry about pumping in the hospital so we just gave LO's formula while in the hospital.

• 1) I believe around 4 days

2) yes we supplemented with formula, but he was in the NICU and I think they were pushing too much volume on him too fast.

3) Maybe by 2 weeks.

4) I did not bring my pump, the hospital supplied me with a pump and parts while I was inpatient and the NICU had a pump for me to use while he was still there.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • LO was born on a Thurs. morning and my milk came in Monday evening.

We did supplement with formula for the first week or two.  LO had IUGR, was only 5 lb at birth, and her jaundice was getting worse because  she was only getting colostrum.  We have not had issues with supply since then, and I have 937 oz in my freezer.

I used the medela symphony in my hospital room in the post-partum unit.  During the first few days I tried to pump after every nursing session, but sometimes I was just too exhausted to deal with it.  I did pump more often after I got home.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"