Two Under 2

C-Section Moms...I have a few questions

I wasn't sure where to post this, so hopefully you ladies can help me. Due to a laundry list of complications with my pregnancy, my MD's have advised me to have a C-section, scheduled for 12/14/09. DD#1 will be 19 months old when DD#2 arrives. I had a natural vaginal delivery with DD#1, so this is a whole new world for me!

My questions are: I know lifting is a no-no, but when is it safe? And how quickly where you able to painlessly? (I'm trying to line up help/babysitters while DH is at work, lifting DD#1 in/out of the crib)

Is it unrealilistic of me to think I will be going to my brother's house on Christmas (11 days after C-Section)? There will not be a ton of people, just immediate family, very casua and it's 15 minutes away. We were just planning on stopping in for a bite to eat and exchange gifts 2-3 hours, tops.

Is there anything I need, other than pads? It sounds crazy, but I had a "kit" from my vaginal birth of Tucks pads, Witch hazel, Derma spray, etc. and I'm just wondering if there is anything I should get before I come home to prepare.

Sorry if this is a little long, I just want to be as prepared as I can, and not have crazy expectations of myself.  Thanks in advance!!! You ladies are great!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: C-Section Moms...I have a few questions

• I had 2 easy c-sections.  I was out and about with #2 in less than a week.  As for help, 2 weeks with no picking up your older child.  I cheated and it would hurt the next day.  Nothing really special except advil on hand.
    BabyFetus Ticker Blessed with a girl and boy, number 3 due 5/5/12!
  • imagecarolinaem:
    I had 2 easy c-sections.  I was out and about with #2 in less than a week.  As for help, 2 weeks with no picking up your older child.  I cheated and it would hurt the next day.  Nothing really special except advil on hand.

same here!

• Loading the player...
  • had a c-section with number one.

had to wear higher waist underwear for a while after.....anything low-cut would really irritate my incision.  for at least 10 days after i wore the mesh underwear that the hospital gave me...just asked for a bunch of extra pairs while i was still there...they just felt so much better.

you should be fine 11 days after to go somewhere for dinner...of course you will probably be exhausted but im sure you already know that.

good luck!

• No lifting for 10 days to 2 weeks. Accept all the help you can get. Stairs were a lot harder for me than I had imagined, so if you have stairs, "set up camp" downstairs with everything you might need during the day. Diapers for #1 and #2, etc. I also asked for a bunch of the extra mesh undies and pads. I think you will be fine to go to your brothers...especially since everyone will be sensitive to your situation.
  • I haven't had baby #2 yet so this is based on my experience with #1. 

I was told not to lift anything heavier than the baby for 2 weeks.  I was still kinda sore at 2 weeks pp but I was able to get around.  Stay on top of the pain meds in the beginning.  I was worried about taking them but don't be. 

As far as what you need, I highly recommend underwear that come above the incision.  Most of mine are bikini & they hit the incision.  Next time I'm going to make sure I have "granny panties". 

• I had 3 c-sections in 3 years. No pain meds after any of my c-sections, in the hospital or at home. I was up, showered (by myself) and walking the day after all 3 of my c-sections. 

I lifted my older kids about a week after my last 2 c-sections. My OB told me to just listen to my body and not stress it out. I have a high threshold for pain and heal really well.

I could've gone to a party the day I came home from the hospital, but I know not everyone heals like this, especially after having 3 of them.

GL! 

image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • First - I'm sorry you're having to do this.  Sounds like it's not your first choice.

Advice:  WALK as soon as you can after surgery.  Stand and walk as much as you can.  It really helps recovery.   Holding the incision helped when coughing, sneezing and laughing hard.

Take the meds.  Stay on top of them.  No brownie points for not taking the drugs.

Be prepared for constipation.  Prune juice worked when Colace didn't.  Start both right away post delivery.  It hurt to go - not like I'm sure it did with a vaginal incision but pushing to go hurts the incision for me.

There was no way I was going to go 2 weeks without lifting my toddler so I didn't.  Just bend at the knees instead of the waist and listen to your body if you want to try it out. 

My second recovery was way easier and faster.  Bottom line of having 2 is that you just do what you have to do.  I didn't have the time to sit around thinking about it as much as the first time.

I would totally have gone to family holiday gathering 11 days past. I think the best rule regardless is to tell people that you're going to play it by ear based on how you and the baby are doing but I do think it should be a fairly easy thing to pull off at that point.

GL to you!

Sections are not all that bad IMO!! 

Our IF journey: 1 m/c, 1 IVF with only 3 eggs retrieved yielding Dylan and a lost twin, 1 shocker unmedicated BFP resulting in Jace, 3 more unmedicated pregnancies ending in more losses.
    Total score: 6 pregnancies, 5 losses, 2 amazing blessings that I'm thankful for every single day.
  • Mine are 18m apart.

My questions are: I know lifting is a no-no, but when is it safe? I did a ton of sitting on the floor so she could sit on my lap. I had to pick her up after about 1 week getting her in and out of the crib. You learn how to lift. And how quickly where you able to painlessly? (I'm trying to line up help/babysitters while DH is at work, lifting DD#1 in/out of the crib)

Is it unrealilistic of me to think I will be going to my brother's house on Christmas (11 days after C-Section)? There will not be a ton of people, just immediate family, very casua and it's 15 minutes away. We were just planning on stopping in for a bite to eat and exchange gifts 2-3 hours, tops. #1's section I was 100% after 7 days. 2nd c-section I was a mess and could not walk for 6 weeks. I had 3 major infections after the first was a UTI from the cath then incision infections and PPD. It was 6 weeks before I was able to go out or even wanted to.

Is there anything I need, other than pads? It sounds crazy, but I had a "kit" from my vaginal birth of Tucks pads, Witch hazel, Derma spray, etc. and I'm just wondering if there is anything I should get before I come home to prepare. All I needed was comfy lounge wear and pads.

FWIW I did pretty close to nothing to prepare and we did just fine.

• From what I have gathered and experienced myself, everyone's healing post-C is different, however MOST of the mamas I know had easier recoveries then they had thought. FWIW, I was terrified of the thought of a c-section with DD and in reality, the recovery wasn't too bad at all. I actually would forget to take my pain meds and then wonder why I felt a little more achy.

I"m having another c in January, so I can't comment yet on the picking up LO or anything like that, but I figure I'll make it work! I'm not the first mom to do it and I won't be the last!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Blogging about boobs, babies, bed lust & everything in between since 2007.
  • My 1st c-section and 2nd were completely different recoveries...1st was great, 2nd was hard.

I was able to avoid lifting DS as my mom stayed with us for 3 wks....even then it still hurt me to lift him a little bit.

I think that you could go to your brother's for Christmas no problem.....I found that b/c I have DS, I have to get up and go and do things for the most part for him, it is hard to get out of the house sometimes, but it is worth it, especially on Christmas!

I second the high waisted panties, definately needed those for the first few days.  You also might want to have a little step stool handy to get in and out of bed.  Remember to bend your knees when you sit up from a lying position, it will take the pressure off of your abdomen.

Fill the pain med prescription even if you don't think you'll need it....mistake I made since I didn't need them after DS but in the middle of the night when we got home, I regretted that decision.

Best of luck to you!

• Oh and I agree on the prune juice/ Colace recs for constipation as well as have some cranberry juice on hand, got a UTi from the Catheter this time too.
  • Thank you all for such encouraging and honest answers! You have all eased my worries a bit! Thanks again!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The other ladies have all given you great advice so I won't repeat it, but I did want to add that I wore the belly slimming underwear (Spanx type stuff I bought at Wal Mart) to give my belly some support.  It felt to me like it was all loose up in there!  It also helped my baby belly slim down quite fast.

Other than that, wear comfy clothes, get some high waisted underwear (nothing that sits on your incision) and make sure you have people help you!

I wish you a safe and speedy delivery and recovery!

• Everyone has already given great advice, and I totally agree that 11 days should be plenty of time to be feeling up to Christmas dinner. My c-section recovery was smooth and I was practically myself within 7-10 days. I wish you a speedy recovery! (and me too for my next one!)
  • I had a c/s with #1.  They say don't lift anything heavier than your baby so you'll need help lifting your older child.  Be sure to have some ibuprofen on hand - I only had tylenol so my mom had to go get me Motrin.

I think you'll be fine going to your brothers 11 days afterwards.  We went out for some groceries 4 days after DD was born and to Target 6 days after.  We lived in a 3rd floor condo so I had to do 2 flights of stairs every time I went out and I was fine.

My biggest advice would be to get up and walk as soon as you can in the hospital.  I walked up and down the hall to get myself water and ice chips several times a day.  It definitely wasn't comfortable but it made a big difference in my recovery!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
  • I agree with howleyshell.  I had my second section 4 weeks ago.  I was alone with the two boys 5 days later.

take your pain meds.  I took percocet almost every day for 10 days after the section. 

Walking up the stairs is easier if you go backward.

Buy a boppy if you haven't.  If it works for you, it keeps the baby off the incision while you heal.

congrats! 

• I was lifting my older DD who was 21 months about a week after I had my c-section and was driving and carrying the car seat at 1 1/2 weeks PP.  I think going to your brother's for Christmas will be totally fine and heck, you will have lots of help there with your kids so why not.  Honestly though, just base that decision on how you feel at the time - you don't have to decide now as I'm sure everyone will understand if you tell them you plan to come but then cancel at the last min if you are not up to it,.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"