Indiana Babies

Breastfeeding/Pumping questions

1. When did you start pumping?  I would like to build my stash for when I go back to work, but didn't know if it was too early to start pumping.

2. How many ounces do you collect in each bag before you freeze?

3. When did you pump? After each feeding on both sides?  Do you pump immediately after feeding, or wait 30 minutes? 

Re: Breastfeeding/Pumping questions

• I obviously don't have any experience but in my breastfeeding class, I'm taking 12 week off, and they recommended waiting until probably 8 weeks to get breastfeeding well established before pumping.
  • I started pumping at about 2 weeks PP. I had to return to work at 8 weeks, and wanted to make sure that I had a decent-sized stash.

At first I pumped either 1oz or 2oz into a bag. I had a row for each size in my freezer. Once I returned to work, I started pumping 4oz into a bag if I could... More often it's somewhere between 3oz and 5oz.

I had to pump about an ounce off (between both sides) before letting Paige eat because of an overabundant letdown (she'd gag and choke, and sometimes throw it all back up). But, I would caution you that if you go the route I went, you're sort-of committing yourself to pumping at each nursing session (which can get tiring), because by pumping you're telling your boobs to make extra milk (oversupply). I stopped pumping before feedings at about 5-6 weeks (because I was tired of doing it, and Paige seemed to have the letdown-thing under control). By that time, I had a pretty good sized stash built up.

Good luck!! :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • 1.  I think I started about 2 w pp, bc I had no idea what she was getting and we were having weight issues.

2.  In the beginning about 2 oz, but went up to 4-6 depending.  I wanted it in usable amounts for thawing, it has to be used within 24 hours of being defrosted.

3.  In the end I only pumped at night, L was too needy for me to pump during the day. 

• 1. About 1 week pp, but that was because my nipples looked like raw hamburger meat and were bleeding badly. I pumped intermittently in place of a BF session to let them heal for those first few week. We were also told in our BF class to wait 6-8 weeks to establish BF, but since Jo was obviously gaining tons of weight and I wasn't having any supply issues, I decided to try pumping in addition to feedings in order to build a stash at around 2-3 weeks.  I was glad to have even a tiny stash early on - 2 or 3 feedings worth - so I could have a little more freedom. Personally, I don't think I could have made it 6-8 weeks without giving Jo a bottle of EBM - it was really nice to have a little flexibility.

2. Like pp said, I tried to store in amounts that were convenient for thawing, so like 4 oz at first, then 6 oz later.

3. Jocelyn always took both breasts and I never had much luck getting anything out immediately after she ate, so I tried to pump halfway between feedings. I never had a problem having enough milk for her next feeding. When she started sleeping more at night, I would occasionally get up and pump or would pump some "off the top" before i fed her so i wasn't so engorged.

I'm sure it goes without saying, but I wouldn't pump to build a stash until you're sure the baby is getting plenty to eat and you're not having supply issues. We were definitely lucky in that respect. Hope it's going well for you so far!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"