High-Risk Pregnancy

recommendations on preparing for bedrest & other questions

I'm a MoM and the dr has only talked to me abou the likelihood of bedrest, since I've got a couple funky risk factors going on. So, I have a few (lot) of questions about this.

1. Do you have any recommendations to prepare ahead of time?

2. What types of bedrest are there - looks like there's everything from being chained to a bed to just putting your feet up?

3. Do you have to stay on bedrest for the whole pregnancy - or might it just be a couple weeks at a time?

4. What questions should I ask my dr. if she does say the words "you're going on bedrest"?

5. Does that mean any type of exercise is out - i'm being told by EVERYONE and reading everywhere how good exercise is for you - so bedrest seems to contradict this? can I do some dumbbell lifting with just my arms? something??

6. What do you wish some one told you before you went on bedrest?

TIA!

Re: recommendations on preparing for bedrest & other questions

• I was on strict bedrest for 2 months with DD.  I am 28 weeks now, and my BP is already creeping up there.

1.  Get everything done early you might need. 

• Dentist appointments
    • Baby shopping
    • Movies in the theater you might want to see. (sounds silly, but there were a couple I was upset about not seeing in the actual theater.)
    • Baby shower earliy if possible. (mine had to wait until after DD was born.)
    • Hair appointments
    • If you are a reader and can afford it, invest in a Kindle.  It was horrible sending DH out to buy me books.

2. I was on hospital released complete bedrest.  I had PIH which turned into Pre-E.  That meant that I could go upstairs once a day only.  Get up to use the bathroom.  I could be up for 10 mins to shower/get dressed.  I could fix lunch/breakfast, but had to lay back down when finished.  At the end I wasn't even allowed to sit up on the couch.  I had to stay on my left side.  I couldn't drive, but DH could take me to Dr appointments.  That is the only time I was allowed out.

There is limited bedrest which just means not walking a whole lot.  When my BP first started going up he said "no more marathon shopping" and sit at work as much as possible.

There is also hospital bedrest which is horrible.  I did that for a week and was ready to go crazy. 

3.   Some women are lifted from bedrest depending on the reason for bedrest.  I know several women with PTL that were let "out" at 36 weeks because they wouldn't stop labor at that point.  But with pre-e, any activity makes the BP worse.

4.  Amount of bedrest. (Can you do light house work? do you have to stay immoble?  Are there any restrictions for driving? Can you do light errands?)

5.  Bedrest usually implies no working out.  Again, it depends on what the bedrest is for.  If it is preterm labor/BP related they generally want you immobile/calm.  They want your HR to stay nice and low.

6.  How isolating it is.  I'm thankful I had a laptop with wireless internet, or I might have gone insane. 

Good luck, and I hope you don't need it.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • The PP answered your questions beautifully.

I'd make sure that you have a good support system as well as great sources of entertainment. I am currently borrowing a wifi laptop and a nintendo DS. I also have plenty of books, shows, and friends to keep me busy.

This is a random thing, but I almost wish I had a "bedrest haircut". My hair is so long that it gets matted from laying on it, so I have to brush it frequently.

Also, ask about regular activity that you'll have to do every day (showering, going to the bathroom) and figure out if you need to modify those activities at all.

Also know that there is bedrest and pelvic rest. Pelvic rest usually implies limited activity, but you can sit up. Bedrest usually implies laying down with only a slight incline to your back. It really just depends.

As far as excercise goes, you might get (or look into) anti-embellism socks. They are socks that you wear while you are inactive and it helps prevent blood clots. You can also ask about physical therapy or exercises that you can do from laying down. Those are typically limited but okay.

The bedrest I am on is strict hospital bedrest. This can equal a catheter or the use of a bedpan. If I'm lucky, I might "graduate" to a bedside commode. I went home (only for 24 hours and then ended up back here) and while I was at home, I was allowed to shower (which toooootally wore me out) and get up to go to the bathroom. Definitely no driving for anything else.

Also ask about stool softeners if they don't prescribe them for you. In most cases, they don't want you to push or strain, so stool softeners help.

Also... no sexy time. Ask about that.

Make sure you ask what signs you need to look for that would make you need to go to the hospital. This would depend on your reason for bedrest. An example was that I went into PTL and when I was sent home, I was told to come back as soon as I had any contractions. Someone who didn't have PTL may not have to go in for that reason.

• Loading the player...
  • It all depends on the reasons why you are on bedrest.

I spent 4 weeks on strict hospital bedrest - no getting up, walking, even riding in a wheelchair out in the hallway was prohibited.  No getting up to go to the bathroom. 

I was then allowed showers and bathroom priviledges, but that was it.  .

At 36 weeks I was sent home for best rest, but no stairs, no standing even to fix a meal, just bed to couch once a day and back.

Throughout it all I had to be on my left side, lying except for meals.

(All due to pre-e)

The biggest thing is to ask for help when you need it, but be super clear on what things you don't want done on your behalf.  Should someone put sheets in the crib or not, or is that something you want to do? 

I wasn't allowed any movement at all or exercise - the health of the pregnancy is more important at that time.  I wore compression leg devices full time through my bestrest and while at home - basically balloon type plastic tubes that are velcroed around your legs and fill with air to keep your blood flowing. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I second the recommendation of get everything done ahead of time.  This is our first and we had the nursery almost all ready, so that was a relief.  I was pretty nuts about having everything ready early since I knew there was a chance of bed rest.

Regarding exercise, I am sure it depends on why you are on BR (for me it was from 30-34 weeks for a shortened cervix).  The nurse at my MFM gave me some handouts that described exercises I could do.  I think dumbbells would be too much, but anything isometric is fine.  Think exercises that you would do on a long plane ride.  Ankle pumps and circles are really important to prevent DVTs (and I would definitely recommend the compression stockings).  You can do swimming motions with your arms too.  Hand and arm circles. 

I was really fortunate in that my prenatal yoga instructor actually came to my home to work with me, after I got the go-ahead from my dr.  She had experience working with women on BR, so we did exercises that limited me to side-lying or a semi-reclined position.  She left a bolster and strap with me so I was able to do the exercises every day on my own.  These definitely helped.

Even though I knew there was a chance I would be put on BR, when it happened I still ended up fighting back tears.  It just felt overwhelming...I went from working full-time, and even having walked to my dr. appt., to being stuck in bed for all but 45 min a day.  It does get easier though.

• I'm gonna add my two cents here since I noticed how early you are in the pregnancy....if this is your first child, before you get put on bedrest go and do your registry.  I did mine the night I found out I was going to go on modified bedrest and I'm glad my DH encouraged it and took off work for us to do it.  It was fun to see the stuff and has made me feel less cheated, since now I can go and adjust stuff online. 

As for all the other stuff, it just depends on your situation.  I was put on modified bedrest at 14weeks and will remain that way or get put on stricter till I give birth.  This is due to herniated disks in my back.  I'm not supposed to have any type of physical activity for more than 1-2 combined hours a day, depending how I'm feeling. 

Good Luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"