North Carolina Babies

Giving benadryl to sedate a child

What is your opinion on this?

I ask because a friend of mine posted on FB that she was travelling with her 1 year old today and asked for tips.  2 of her friends suggested that she should give her child benadryl to sedate him.

My SIL was also known to give her daughters benadryl to calm them down before bed.

Would you do it? 

Re: Giving benadryl to sedate a child

• This could backfire.  I know some kids get all wired on Benadryl.

That being said, I've never given Ben benadryl to sedate him.  That seems like a bad idea and I don't think I would ever do it.

• My Aunt-IL's sister is a pediatrician and she does give her 3 children benadryl before a long flight or car ride.  I honestly don't know if I'd do it.  I think if Nora was being terrible, I'd definitely consider it for a flight.  We just deal with it in the car.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imageSpeedGlenn:

This could backfire.  I know some kids get all wired on Benadryl.

That being said, I've never given Ben benadryl to sedate him.  That seems like a bad idea and I don't think I would ever do it.

I've never heard of this... that is probably what would happen with Nora bc every time the pedi says that Nora will get tired from her vaccines, she gets wired, so this would probably be her!

• I'd rather schedule our travel time around nap time than give benadryl plus I never know how Grady is going to react to it sometimes it makes him groggy other times he is so wired it is crazy.  I've heard of people doing this before but I don't think we would. It would be a very very last resort.
  • imageSpeedGlenn:

That was me as a child!  It made me SO hyper!  My poor parents...

I don't think I could do it either, at least not with a baby/toddler. 

• My simple answer -- no I would never do this.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageSpeedGlenn:

This is J, so I definitely would not do it. I have been known to give Tylenol/Motrin in hopes to prevent fussies before a long car ride, but only if it was near bedtime & he was teething anyway. 

• I think it would depend if my child is a really bad traveler (like screams the whole time,etc)-maybe I would do it in that case. But DD is a great traveler-so I wouldn't.
  • Absolutely not. ?

Benadryl is a very important drug to us with Ky's allergy and I would never chance her becoming tolerant of it and it not working like it should if we really needed it.?

• imageSpeedGlenn:

I totally agree. Although I was the kid that got hyped up when given Benadryl. I know parents who do this and it's NMS or my parenting choice.

image AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

***Baby #3: BFP Mother

• We give Eli Benadryl fairly often, but never just to sedate him.  It has no effect on him whatsoever, so it wouldn't work even if we wanted to.  But my pedi also suggested it last summer when we were flying. 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

• I'm with Pack. I've used Tylenol before.

Katie, Duke Gardens, 6months

ry%3D400

Zach, Duke Gardens, 6months

ry%3D400

Photo courtesy from the amazing Ever You Photography!

• We've flown 6 times with Kira (3 to see DH's family and 3 to see mine) and it's been recommended by multiple people each time.  I just won't do it though.
    Pregnant with #1 with PCOS and LPD, success with mostly naturopathic treatments
    Our Thanksgiving Day baby 11/22/07

imageimageimage

Pregnant with #2 with LPD, uterine polyp/hysteroscopy, DOR (AMH = 0.17), 2 c/ps
    Our early Christmas present 12/9/10
  • No, I don't think I'd ever do it.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

My Sweet Girls

• Nope. I did do it for my dog though. :-)

photo c107d4aa-9909-4a33-b3bd-bd94168bd5fc.jpg

• I haven't considered it, but my friend does it when she flies with her 3 year old. Her daughter is somewhat of a handful (almost uncontrollable and gets angry very very easily) and she does it most for her sanity and for those around her. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I have given S benedryl for allergies several times and most of the time it makes her sleepy, but sometimes it wires her.  I would not use it as a sedative.

Baby J is here! Born on her mama's birthday.

11 pounds, 7 ounces and 23" long at birth!

My Bio

• imageunc00ref:
    imageSpeedGlenn:

I totally agree. Although I was the kid that got hyped up when given Benadryl. I know parents who do this and it's NMS or my parenting choice.

I always thought I was alone in being the type that got hyped up by bendaryl....sweet!! i also dont take tylenol pm either cuz it does the same thing....this is a big reason i dont take cold meds cuz they always act funny with me. And i dont think i could sedate my child. I know people that adopt and do it on their long plane ride so the child will be more mellow.

imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"