did anyone deliver with Dr. Maddox in Fairfax? — The Bump
D.C. Area Babies

did anyone deliver with Dr. Maddox in Fairfax?

I go to Capital Women's Care next to Fair Oaks Hospital.  I've liked all the OB's I've seen there (Dr. Silas is my regular GYN- love him!!) until today's appointment.  It was my first time seeing Dr. Maddox, and he really rubbed me the wrong way.  I got the feeling that if he could go back to the 1950's where women were just sedated while in labor, he totally would.  I'm planning a drug-free birth, and now I'm worried that he'll be the one on call and I'll have to spend my whole labor listening to him trying to push pain meds on me. 

If anyone has any personal experience to put my mind at ease, it would be greatly appreciated! TIA

Re: did anyone deliver with Dr. Maddox in Fairfax?

• He was on call when I went into labor and as soon as he checked me and I was 3cm and he saw that I was in pain he asked me if I wanted the epidural.  It was my plan all along to get the epidual and I was ready for it buy he didn't seem too pushy to me.  His shift ended and Dr. Berry came in but Dr. Maddox stayed and helped with the forcep delivery and helped for about an hour after, which I thought was very nice.  I Might not be too big of a help since I wanted and welcomed the drugs but just make sure at the office they know what you plan is and have it written down. 
  • I am way late to the party on this, but I, too, felt like Dr. Maddox was old school, stiff, and very formal at my appt.  I thought he was great at the delivery - very relaxed, joking around, totally not what I expected.

I already had my epi when he arrived (Dr. Silas was the one on call when I went to the hospital - he is great!).  He did give me pitocin when I seemed to be stuck at 9 cm for a couple of hours, but I don't know if that is normal or not.

I would do as pp said and make sure everyone in the office knows your plan, and share it with the nurses as well when you arrive at the hospital.

DD1 is 3, DD2 is 1.
  • Thanks ladies!  I was pretty upset after my appointment with him last week, but you have definitely calmed me down!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards