Orange County Babies

Average cost of delivery at Hoag?

Our insurance pays 90% so we are only responsible for 10%. I'm just trying to figure out how much that 10% is going to be. Is it going to be a couple hundred dollars or is it going to be a couple thousand dollars? Any info would be much appreciated.

Re: Average cost of delivery at Hoag?

• It will widely vary on your labor and delivery.  I had a vaginal delivery without complications at Hoag and my total bill was in the $15k range.  Cesareans are substaintally more. 

I don't know how accurate this article is to Cesareans to our COL but it says that they can run into mid-$20k range.  Maybe someone else can weigh in.

ETA: my total was for everything, me + baby.

forcing sisterly love since 07.06.10
  • I did my insurance estimator for Dr. Grouse at Hoag and got:

Vaginal delivery: $8,672 - $12,930

C/S delivery: $13,837 - $18,961

Not sure how accurate it is, but I thought I'd throw it out there.  And I believe this is only for the delivery, so the hospital stay, etc. would probably be extra. 

After 2 rounds of IVF & 2 rounds of FET, we were blessed with identical twin girls!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Do you have an annual max out of pocket? 

I delivered at Hoag too, and had a c-section, but it was toward the end of the year.  Even though I have a 90/10 plan like you do, I'd already had to spend a good amount of money that year, so I think I was only out of pocket about $1000 or so.  And that was with being in the hospital Sunday through Thursday.

• My sister said her bill is $1800 at St. Joesph's.  She was in L&D for almost 24 hours so I don't know if that had anything to do with it.  She went in on Friday around 11 and left there Sunday afternoon.  Her 20% is $1800 so that must mean her bill was around $9000.

Our Journey to Brenden

IVF #1: 4/11(Follistim/Menopur/Ganirelix) 10 retrieved/8 mature and all 8 fertilized / 2 embies transferred ... nothing to freeze Beta 5/10 = BFN

IVF Take 2 Long Lupron July 2011

ER 7/3/11 (our 6th anniversary) - 8 retrieved/7 mature/fert ....ET 7/6/11 - 2 beautiful grade A 8 cell embryos

Beta 7/18/11 - 149!!! Beta 7/21/11 - 311 Beta 7/28/11 - 2,000 8/5/11 - Empty Sac 8/8/11 - There's a yolk sac and maybe a heartbeat 8/12/11 - Fetal pole, yolk sac, heartbeat 8/18/11 - Baby looks GREAT!
    3 babies waiting on ice

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• I was able to do an estimator on my ins website....it turned out to be pretty accurate.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I had a very standard delivery and I think it was around $9000.  I guess it really depends on how your delivery goes!
  • I was induced (vaginal delivery with morphine, antibotics, and eventually an epidural) & had a four day total stay at St. Joseph and my total was about $17-18k. Over half of that was the charges for the room/bed for those four days.
    Socializing foster puppies since 2009
    image image
    Chart for TTC#2
  • I have been thinking about this too!! I am not delivering at Hoag, but at St Josephs. I even called to get an estimate, but they said that there are so many different factors that could happen that an estimate would be pointless. I am expecting to pay my out of pocket max (which is $2k), if it is less than that I will be happy. Just thinking about the hospital bill makes me want to live in Canada, where everything would be covered. 
  • one more thing, you also have to think about the charges that the baby incurs. Your insurance will cover the baby after birth for a couple of days automatically. I called my insurance (Aetna) to clarify how this worked.
  • I delivered at Hoag with a PPO. I was shocked by how cheap it was. It was $600 total. $300ish for Hoag and the rest to my dr. I have United Healthcare and I think my structure is similar to yours. We had thought it would be $2-5,000. I had an epi, vaginal and went in on Sunday afternoon and left Tuesday morning.

My friend delivered at Saddleback and paid about the same.

• This is very helpful thanks!
  • I would expect it to be a couple of thousand dollars and hope that you're pleasantly surprised with something less.  I delivered in Santa Monica, had a c-section and 5 total nights in the hospital (one before the birth, four after).  My total bill (which, fortunately insurance covered) came to about $20,000.

A friend had her son in the NICU for a week and that bill (also covered) was $105k.

Congrats on your new baby!

• Depends on your insurance and max out of pocket. You can figure it out by calling Hoag. They will give you an average breakdown page. Then you just figure out your 10% up to your out of pocket max.

For example, we have a high deductible (4,800) and then 80/20 until we hit our max out of pocket (5k) so we basically spent 5k. I am betting yours will be substantially less because our insurance sucks even though it's better than nothing.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"