Single Parents
Options

Great Links on BF and custody, ect

Hi Ladies, 

I was doing some research for a friend of mine and found some great links some of you might be able to use.   This is a link to La Leche League's resources regarding breast feeding, custody, visitation, ect.  Its pretty great so I thought I'd share.

https://www.llli.org/NB/NBdivorce.html 

Re: Great Links on BF and custody, ect

• Options

That is great info, and I will probably be in the minority here, but I somewhat disagree with the tone of that article.

I am all for breastfeeding and plan on breastfeeding when I have a child, however, I don't think it is right to deprive the father from establishing a good bond with his child (provided the father is an active and willing participant in the child's life).  I know that most of the women on this board have negative experiences with the BF, but not all men are bad fathers just because they don't want to be in a relationship with the mother (unless they are abusive, obviously).

There are other alternatives, such as pumping, that could work just as well.  I don't think it's fair to deprive a good father of the opportunity to spend as much time with the baby as the mother, especially in joint custody situations.  Maybe I have seen one too many guy friends get burned in custody cases (BM not putting them on the BC, etc), but I don't think it's fair to deprive a good father the chance to spend time with his kid. 

• Options
    I actually agree with you. I think that if the father is trying to have an active role in their childs life. That we as mothers should do everything in our power to ensure that every effort is made to include him in our childs life. It is hard to put person feelings aside, but our LO's are our first priority now our pride.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"