Special Needs
Options

Pledge against the R-word.

I saw this today and had to share. My sister is multiply-handicapped and this has been a hot topic for me since I can remember. https://r-word.org/ Definitely check it out. xoxo Ramsey
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Pledge against the R-word.

• Options

I signed up on facebook. I can count a few times in the last couple weeks I have heard someone say retarded in a derogatory way. At my workplace, and at a gathering I went to. My 13 yo cousin called someone retarded on his facebook. sigh. I can't believe people have to be reminded how wrong it is.

I agree that gay has to go.

• Options

I feel like a horrible mom because my son is mentally retarded and this word does not bother me.  I don't think people are saying it to make fun of the mentally retarded people in the world.  Yes I think that is how the word started back in the day, but I think most of the people who use it today don't even think of a retarded person when they are using the word it is just a slang word to show dislike for something.

I teach middle school and the kids who use the "R" word really have no idea that it is a medical term.  So they aren't deliberately putting down the retarded people in the world.  Ya know?  Am I making sense?

Flame me if you will.

image Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers BFP 7/7/08, M/C 7/8/08, BFP 9/23/08, M/C 9/24/08, BFP 11/2/08 TWINS!,
    Lost Our 10 month old Baby Boy Rowan 3/12/10 BFP 8/25/10
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

image-auntie-:
    Can we get rid of gay too?? Please!

If you start the group, I will be the first member!! 

I have to deal with both words at work all of the time.  Last Friday I was exhausted and finally yelled in front of the whole team (about 7 people) "What are we, in junior high?"!  It just slipped, I swear.  Embarrassed

• Options
    Just because a word "sounds nicer" does not change the meaning.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"