Special Needs

Advice needed... Re:SSI and Medicaid

Hello everyone.  This is my first post here.  I don't currently have a child (still baking).  However, my 1 yr old niece has Down Syndrome.  My sister is in school and her husband is the only one who works.  They only make $38k per year.  My niece was receiving $387/mo in SSI and $298/mo from the state because my sister carries her on their private insurance, thus saving the state money on Medicaid.

My sister had a meeting with the SSA today to discuss benefits for next year.  She lost everything.  My BIL does not make any more money than he did last year.  My sister had not planned on working until she graduates in the spring, but is now going to have to find some kind of job that will probably only pay for daycare...  Apparently, the fact that they have a house and 2 cars (one of which is paid off) excludes them from any type of benefits.  Also, they have too much $ in their checking/savings accounts.

I am so frustrated on her behalf.  She can appeal, but apparently it is a long process that may or may not change things.  She is going to have to "hide" the $ in savings. 

Does anyone have any words of wisdom or resources that I can point her in the direction of?  Should she just look into a lawyer?

Thanks!

Re: Advice needed... Re:SSI and Medicaid

• The only reason they are able to pay for all her therapies is due to the SSI and cutback from Medicare.  She does oral/motor therapy, speech therapy, and physical therapy. 

And yes, she is a student, but she does an all online program.  I don't think she would be able to attend school full time otherwise.  She does all her school work at night after the baby is in bed.  She is always having to take my niece to some form of therapy and/or dr appt.

Thanks for the advice though :)

• Depending on what state you live in, you can see what state programs are available. For example, here in NY we have whats called the Office of Mental Retardation and Developmental Disabilities Office. A child with Down Syndrome would most likely qualify for their services, which would include getting Medicaid based on a Waiver Program which looks at the childs disability and not the parents income. I work in this field so if you live in NY I could be of more help. Please let me know if you have more questions or I can help you any more.
  • Loading the player...
  • if she "hides" the money in savings they will find it. believe me!!!

many families set up a "fund" for their childs expenses. I think often the trustee is a non-family/household member to keep from having it as an asset. I don't know too much about it though... 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"