Special Needs

I know he's still very young (kind of long)

DS was referred to a developmental pedi by our regular pedi at his 8 month check up. She referred him because he had absolutely zero language. Nothing, not even an "oooh" or "aahhhh".?

?He still has none. We saw the development pedi today. She was pretty pleased with him socially (he responds to his name most of the time, makes eye contact, laughs, etc), but is concerned about his delay in motor skills, but said that could be contributed to his "lower" tone. She also said she is very concerned about the language. She said that's the biggest piece. We've had his ears checked and they're fine.?

I'm so confused. I know it can just be language, but it doesn't seem to fit with anything at all. I'm waiting on EI to call me so we can set up an appointment.

?Really, I just needed to vent. All of my friends and family act like I'm overreacting, even though I did nothing to get this ball rolling, the pedi did, without prompting I might add. Maybe I am, who knows. Thanks for reading.??

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: I know he's still very young (kind of long)

• First, I say ignore your friends and family - you're being a fantastic mommy by taking your DS to see a developmental pedi and following the suggestions of your pediatrician.  You love your son and are concerned for him, and that's wonderful.  Better to "overreact" and have it be nothing than to live in denial and not get him help if he needs it.

As to the more substantive stuff, I don't know even close to enough to guess at what's going on, but it sounds like you're doing all the right things.  Early Intervention is amazingly helpful.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that you get some answers soon! 

• When you are thinking about his 'language' (since you are around him more than anyone else), make sure you are thinking about non-verbal communication too. The first developmental milestones for language are going to be non-verbal gestures ('I want that' hand extended), or a response to his name, or a response to 'Mommy' from across the room. Or clapping to get your attention, etc... He's going to understand more than he can get back out to you before he's going to be able to do it himself. If he's got a lot of the non-verbal stuff (gesturing, pointing, grunting, joint-attention) then you can be a little less concerned.

I hope EI gets in touch with you soon. Has he had ear infections/tubes? A friend of mine went through this EXACTLY. Because of his infections and tubes being put in around 9 months, they gave him until 12 mo to make sounds and he's doing GREAT now. 

https://www.earlyinterventionsupport.com/development/speech/4-8months.aspx

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Have no idea what might be going on, but always trust you mother instinct! We know our kids the best. I will tell you that my son had very little verbal communication at that age, and is still NOT where he should be. My son was dx with Apraxia, which has a muscle weakness - you mentioned low tone. How are his fine motor skills?

Good luck to you! Feel free to vent. 

• Don't feel like you are overreacting.  We deal with that a lot.  Even though we have been on the lookout for delays since my daughter was born for a few reasons, I feel like I constantly have to explain to my mom and others why my daughter is actually behind even though her delays were recognized by two doctors and she was evaluated by early intervention.  Try not to overthink it until you have the evaluation.  They are great and will help you identify what he is doing and what he should be.  The great thing is that you are being proactive so if he does need some assistance, you will get it early.   Feel free to vent - it's hard to think about there being a problem without being able identify it. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"