Special Needs
Options

Recvd written report on our Speech Evaluation...

I almost cried while reading it...My dd got great results with expressive and receptive language skills.  She scored below average with her Articulation.  I had a feeling that she would need some assistance with this, but I didnt realize how much.  She scored a 70 when you should be around 85.  Reading the report, the words they used(severe speech impairment, severly  and negatively impacts her ability to be an effective  and independent communicator w/ peers and adults across all life settings) made me cringe. 

At her 3 year appt, they said it seems to be developmental...here we are at 3.5 years...The outcome is that she will recvd speech svs 2 X a week for about 60 minutes....BUT, it appears that there is a slight waiting list, No one is available to take on my dd.  GREAT...Im very anxious to get this started....Looking into other avenues/private speech therapy....  Any thoughts, suggestions would be appreciated. 

Re: Recvd written report on our Speech Evaluation...

• Options

I know on DD's eval the words disorder and severe were used. It was explained to me that the SLP used these words so that insurance would cover. As it turns out, we were denied and DD didn't qualify through EI either. We are now paying out of pocket and trying for a THIRD time through EI.

DD also has articluation issues. Her vocab and receptive is on target. I understand your fears, but I say take whatever services offered and take they say on paper w/ a grain of salt. Just focus on getting your DD services and her goals.

• Options

I appreciate the responses....

Auntie- She was never involved with EI,  I was very familiar with them(as we have friends that got services), but back then I didnt feel that her speech was behind or there was any problem...If any, alot of people would comment that she speaks so well for age- I think in a way, this is what is so strange.....Im taking a peek now online to see if there are any exercies that I can do with her at home, but Im hesitant, as maybe I should save this for the professionals.  ... ...  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"