D.C. Area Babies

When does DD need dental insurance?

We just got our open enrollment benefit forms at work and I noticed DD is not on our dental plan. Should I add her for the 2010 year? I have no idea when a baby gets their first cleaning. She already has two little bottom teeth which are so adorable I must say.

When did you add your LO to your dental insurance?

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: When does DD need dental insurance?

• our pedi said around age 18-24 mos but my dentist said not before 3 yrs old; even though they'll have a lot of teeth before then, dentist said they are way too young to sit still and there is no benefit to it; so I'm not adding mine yet (our medical year starts July 1st though). I may add her next July since she'll be 2 next Oct, but I'm not sure, I'll re-check w/ dentist
  • our dentist said 3 years old as well. I told her that I read some where that they should visit the dentist when they get their first teeth and she had a good laugh over that one :-)
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks ladies! We'll keep DD off the insurance for now then.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • One thing you guys might want to keep in mind.....while they may not need regular office visit for cleaning and such.....babies/toddlers fall often. there is a chance they can fall and damage or knock out a tooth....this happened to my nephew when he was 2. We took insurance this year for that reason....Sydney is always falling over her feet! Tongue Tied
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • We took DD#1 for her first appt when she was just over 2 yrs old. SHe had a fall and her front teeth were turning gray. THankfully it turns out they were just bruised and xrays proved no perm. damage but I was glad we had her on the plan. SHe's already been for her second semi-annual cleaning and did great at both appts.

DD#2 is going to her first appt next week. SHe is 21 months old. I dont' expect her to do as well as DD#1 did at hers (very different personalities) but the dentist recommended that it was about time we started her with semi-annual cleanings as well.

We put them both on the plan in the year I knew they would be 1 yr old and pretty much a full set of teeth by the end of that plan year.

• DD will be 15 months old in January.  I added her to my dental for 2010 because I may schedule her for an appt later in the year and just in case anything comes up.  It's good insurance and only $100. 
  • Our dentist said around 2 years so we are skipping it this year and will add him next year during open enrollment.
  • Our old dentist said 2 but DD ended up having to go early because she has an extra tooth that is crowding her other teeth. Our new dentist said she wanted to see DS at 18 months.
    Married 7.9.05
    DD1 9.24.06
    DS 7.1.08
    twins due 9.7.11 lost twin A at
    DD2 4.7.12
  • The first pedi we went to said not after 3. The pedi we currently go to said now (DD's almost 2). I plan on putting her on my dental for next year.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"