3rd Trimester

Cheap DIY Christmas Idea!

I saw these at a craft show a few weeks ago - and when looking into doing them myself - they are actually really cheap!! Thought Id share =) They are soo cute.. and you dont have to do them Christmas-y either.

All you need is a glass box that you can get at home depot or most home stores. The size that you want is 8x8x3. Next, you drill a hole in the back with a diamond bit hole cutter. 1/2 inch bit works great. You can find these at most hardware stores. Remember when you are drilling glass use water to cool the blade down and to wash away excess glass. I just used a water bottle, and squirted as I went. Don't push too hard. You don't want the glass to brake. It took me about 3-4 minutes to cut each block. Please be careful when cutting. Use safty glasses, and remember you are dealing with glass. I have made these blocks without the lights, and they look good too. It is just fun to have a glowing box.
Decorate time: Wrap a bow around the block. I got my ribbon at the dollar store. Put the vinyl on the block. Stuff the glass box with a string of white mini lights. About 10-20 lights. Plug it in and you have a wonderful christmas decor.

**Credit - I got the pic and instructions off of a website.

Re: Cheap DIY Christmas Idea!

• Just wanted to mention that Hobby Lobby sells these glass blocks (Krafty Blok I think it's called) that already have a hole in them and come in various lengths and sizes, incase anyone was interested but didn't want to cut hole themselves. Cute idea! I love DIY projects! I just finished making my daughter a butterfly mobile and am waiting to hang from ceiling! Thanks for sharing :)
  • THANK YOU! I didnt know that! =) Even better!!!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Can you provide a link? I want to share it with my mom. She makes these... Thanks!
  • I am probably the least crafty person on the planet, but I am gonna give these a shot.  Definately gonna search for the ones with the pre-drilled holes, or have DH do the drilling.  They seem fairly easy to do.  Perfect for the girlfriends.
  • OMG!  I love this idea!  Thank you so much!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I've seen these at craft shows, but using an empty wine bottle.  They were done the exact same way and REALLY cute.
  • imagelifesajourney:
    I've seen these at craft shows, but using an empty wine bottle.  They were done the exact same way and REALLY cute.

My mom is going to attempt one for my Wine-o aunt! I hope it turns out cute! =)

• imagestrawberryscentedlovebug:
    Just wanted to mention that Hobby Lobby sells these glass blocks (Krafty Blok I think it's called) that already have a hole in them and come in various lengths and sizes, incase anyone was interested but didn't want to cut hole themselves. Cute idea! I love DIY projects! I just finished making my daughter a butterfly mobile and am waiting to hang from ceiling! Thanks for sharing :)

Just wanted to let you know - that the ones with pre-cut holes are more expensive also - like I got a bigger block with NO holes for cheaper than the smallest one at Hobby Lobby with the hole. Just FYI. They are still cheap either way!! =)

• Here's the actual website that I found the first block from! Sorry took me a while to find it!! =)

https://supersaturdayldscrafts.blogspot.com/2008/09/glowing-glass-blocks.html

• I've always thought these would make a really cute custom night light in LO's room.
    DD1 - 12.25.05
    (m/c 1.17.07, m/c 5.15.07)
    DS - 03.15.08
    DD2 - 12.03.09
    DD3 - 3.28.11
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"