Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

What do you do with all your EOB's

ya know for the insurance company.   i almost never need them or look at them.  i have a billjillion!!!!  do you throw them away?

Re: What do you do with all your EOB's

• Options

OK i'll be the idiot....

What's an EOB?

• Options
    I save them for a few years.. every time we move I shred a ton of 'em. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I kept these for a long time until I finally realized there was no reason to hold onto them.

Now DH takes them to work to be shredded and disposed of.

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Options
    imagemomofolivia:

OK i'll be the idiot....

What's an EOB?

:) Estimation Of Benefits (I think). It's the piece of paper the insurance company sends you after a doctor's visit or something. It tells you how much has been covered by insurance and (if anything) how much your estimated cost will be.

Blake 04/29/05 Will 06/12/07 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    It is an Explanation of Benefits.  Most people never pay enough in a single year out of pocket to take off on their taxes (unless you had a NICU baby!).  That is the only use I can think of for them.  If you pay over a certain percent of your total income you can tax deduct it and that would be your "receipt"...
    my read shelf:
    Jessica's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    explanation of benefits: honestly if i have a question or need to compare a bill i will call and get what i need.  i am junking these things.
  • Options
    I hold on to them for about a year and then shred the whole pile. We have no use for them- I just keep them for the immediate future in case a question comes up.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We keep them and file them away. We've actually experienced a lot of doctor's offices and facilities that seriously can bill you up to 7 years after your procedure so by then you are likely to forget what your insurance covered. It's crazy that they can get away with that but they can. Also we've experienced facilities like Quest that bill incorrectly. Having the EOB has helped save us money in the end.
  • Options
    after having DS I now hold on to them for a year.  We had a lot of problems with the insurance companies (I had 2 at the time...primary and secondary).  8 months after he was born we got a collections notice because the insurance didn't pay.  Apparently the hospital had screwed up my insurance paperwork and filed first with my secondary insurance and they refused to pay because they knew I had a primary insurance (which in fact was the same company).  It was a big mess and it wasn't until DS was about a year old that it was settled.  I needed those copies of the EOB as proof as to what was paid. 
  • Options
    I would keep them for one year. I was billed again for the birth of my daughter one year later. I had the EOB and it was taken care of.
  • Options
    I have a file for them. Sometimes I don't even bother to open them. Whenever we change insurance (with DH's company, it's been almost annually), I shred them all.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Dude, I shred mine almost instantly, after reading them and making sure we actually attended the visit specified, etc. No reason for me to keep them. If I ever need proof, I can call my ins co and get another copy. I have an entire file cabinet of papers I have to keep track of already, so these things get shredded;)
  • Options

(duplicate post: won't let me delete... sorry:(

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"