2nd Trimester
Options

Question about hotdogs?

I was reading a post from 1st tri about things you should and should not do during pregnancy.  I know we have all heard the one about hotdogs, and I know this is a stupid question, but does that mean right out of the package or are cooked hotdogs okay?

I never really eat hotdogs, I was just wondering.

Re: Question about hotdogs?

• Options
    cooked ones are fine.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • Options
    That same post said to avoid microwaves and tap water so I'm not so sure I trust the source...
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Call me a food snob, but hot dogs right out of the package are never acceptable. At LEAST cook them first!

mmmm, hot dogs

Photobucket Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

I had a hot dog the other day.  Just about anything is fine as long as it's cooked. Fish is fine.. Just not too much.

Gross, who would eat a uncooked dog?

• Options
    Seriously? You're asking this question? 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imagelaurasue:
    That same post said to avoid microwaves and tap water so I'm not so sure I trust the source...

Oh so that is why our little buddy has a tail and four heads, hmmm.

Photobucket Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

Listen  to your OB and trusted sources. Online resources can give out information that may not be entirely true!

Bless your heart for posting this on 2nd tri!!!

• Options

ew, an uncooked hot dog is disgusting.

• Options

Now I really want a Chicago-style hot dog.

• Options

Uncooked = bleh.

I think there is a concern about the amount of nitrates in hot dogs. but I eat them anyway.

• Options

you are being spared my dear... your brave for posting this one on 2nd tri.

yes you can have COOKED hotdogs..i dont know why you would want them uncooked..thats pretty disgusting..

Married on September 11th, in honor of our fallen heroes.
  • Options
    imageFireWife2009:

you are being spared my dear... your brave for posting this one on 2nd tri.

yes you can have COOKED hotdogs..i dont know why you would want them uncooked..thats pretty disgusting..

Yes

mmmm.....hot dogs....still probably in the eat sparingly category though! 

• Options

Aww come on ladies, don't be so mean.  Eating a hotdog out of the package is just like eating any other cold cut or processed meat product from the package or can (i.e. bologna, salami, ham, canned chili, corned beef, etc.)  All contain nitrates, which are not recommended to eat when pregnant.

I will say that the one time I did eat a [cooked] hotdog, I was up ALL night, bloated, tossing and turning and was VERY uncomfortable.  I won't eat another hotdog for a LONG time.

• Options
    I hope they are not bad...I crave them all the time. Mac and cheese and hot dogs. And for me the right out of the package thing was kinda hard. I like frozen food(weird I know) but I have only slipped once. I try to cook them always.

BrittAny Nicole
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    ::rolls eyes and goes back to 3rd tri while finishing her hot dog::
  • Options
    imageShernRich:

Aww come on ladies, don't be so mean.  Eating a hotdog out of the package is just like eating any other cold cut or processed meat product from the package or can (i.e. bologna, salami, ham, canned chili, corned beef, etc.)  All contain nitrates, which are not recommended to eat when pregnant.

I will say that the one time I did eat a [cooked] hotdog, I was up ALL night, bloated, tossing and turning and was VERY uncomfortable.  I won't eat another hotdog for a LONG time.

Why are we mean?? because we said raw hotdogs are disgusting??

• Options

I almost gagged at the thought of eating a hot dog right out of the package. :)

Cooked hot dogs are fine.

Evelyn (3.24.10), Graham (5.30.13) & Miles (8.28.16)
  • Options

Trust me I have never eaten a hotdog right out of the package, I just never put much thought into "don't eat hotdogs while pregnant" and that post from 1st tri had me wondering.

That's all, get over it!

• Options
    imagesm81wells:

Trust me I have never eaten a hotdog right out of the package, I just never put much thought into "don't eat hotdogs while pregnant" and that post from 1st tri had me wondering.

That's all, get over it!

Wow, someone should learn some manners.

• Options
    I once had another pregnant friend tell me to not eat them period, even cooked. But I personally don't like them, so I didn't need to worry. Brave though for posting. 
  • Options

FYI to all: Hot dogs are cooked, even straight out of the package. You are just rewarming them.

But, to answer the original poster's question... you should still "rewarm/cook" them, since it helps kill any lingering bacteria on them. And you should eat them sparingly, no matter how you eat them, since they have a lot of nitrates, etc that aren't very healthy. 

Maybe I don't have a heightened sense of smell, but I've never smelled any vagina on my pants. -- TSD

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Bloggity Blog - You know you want to...
  • Options
    Hot dogs straight from the package are cooked and you could eat it that way if you want. When you boil them in water you are really just heating them up to kill bacteria that could have formed. 
  • Options

My baby wants a hotdog. Right now.

And TXTwister, mad props to the Diane's Donuts pic in your sig. Awesome.

• Options
    imageshortyred919:
    ::rolls eyes and goes back to 3rd tri while finishing her hot dog::
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"