2nd Trimester
Options

guess I'm kinda PWing tonight... High Fructose Corn Syrup?

Just read on first tri that someone wasn't eating/drinking anything with HFCS in it during pregnancy.

Anyone seen those commercials where they tell you its made from corn, and has the same calories/etc as sugar?

Any thoughts?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: guess I'm kinda PWing tonight... High Fructose Corn Syrup?

• Options
    Not sure about calories, but can tell you it's in waaaaay more stuff than you can imagine - bread, juice (unless it's 100% fruit juice), etc.  Not a bad idea to get in the habit of limiting your family's intake of it before LO comes :)
  • Options
    I HATE those commercials! You know they're paid for by corn growers, right? They are totally biased.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It made me want a popsicle.
  • Options

imagesassafras007:
    It made me want a popsicle.

Thats how I ALWAYS feel after those commercials hahahaha :) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I have been avoiding foods with HFCS for about a year now. Luckily, I can shop somewhere like Whole Foods and I like to cook. The hardest thing to find without any is bread, of all things! Of course, my downfall is when I want non-fancy chocolate. All candy has it. Halloween was not good to me.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options

imageMrsRebecca:
    I HATE those commercials! You know they're paid for by corn growers, right? They are totally biased.

This! It is so obviously an advertisement. That being said I never really watch my intake of it.

• Options
    high fructose corn syrup is definitely way more prevalent in food than we might ever imagine. calories aside,the primary issue that comes up is that humans do not digest it very well.  there is research that suggests that a lot of the gastrointestinal issues like IBS that people have are in part due to the overconsumption of sweeteners like HFCS.
  • Options
    we've been trying to avoid HFCS for years. It's in everything. When it comes to chocolate we stick to chocolates made in Europe since they have higher cocoa content compared chocolate made here. A good comparison is KitKat. Our local grocery store sells KitKats from England and the taste is quite different. It has more of a chocolatey taste where as the one here has more like a waxy aftertaste. So we've use alternative sugars. If we need sugar for baking, I usually go with raw sugar. For my tea, I will use either agave, honey or stevia.  Agave I like more than honey. It's light and not a strong flavor to it and can be used in place of maple syrup too.
  • Options
    Even "100% fruit juice" is sugar water. I worked for a company that shipped this stuff. It's essentially fruit juice they've extracted all the fruit flavor out of it leaving the water and the fructose. Granted it's a natural sugar, but it's just a sneaky way of adding more sugar and calling it juice. The only true 100% fruit juice I can think of is the juice you get from a juicer where you juice your own fruits. Gotta love all the processing.
  • Options

We've also been trying to avoid HFCS the past 2 years or so.  I've noticed now that I eat a lot less of it that I feel less sluggish and the weight gain stopped (except for now that I'm pregnant, of course!)  We were gaining weight steadily over time, and now that we're eating healthier (and not exercising any more), that has stabilized. 

It's scary how many foods have HFCS...we changed our bread, ketchup, cereal, etc.  I'm always looking at labels now.  I still eat chocolate and drink soda from time to time, along with a few other things, but I feel healthier since cutting back.

• Options
    I've avoided HFCS for my entire pregnancy, for the most part.  I'll make an exception (a coke at the movies - I'm not doing artificial sweeteners, either) occasionally, but not often. I just use real sugar or honey to sweeten things.  I don't find it that difficult to do.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"