2nd Trimester
Options

need help on vaca. w/ 4 mo. old

Hi ladies- so I know many of you have kids and maybe you can help me. 

My mom  is planning a vacation next August and wants the whole family to go.  We would go to the Cape which is about a 1.5 hr. drive from RI. 

Baby M. will be 4 mo. old at this time.  I have no idea if this is a good idea, terrible idea, doable idea, whatever.  I will most likely be alone for the drive because my hubby won't be able to get time off from work.  There will be plenty of help once on the Cape but I still don't think that I could bring a 4 mo. to the beach or pool so that doesn't give me a lot to do. 

Could use your past experiences and words of advice.  TIA!

Re: need help on vaca. w/ 4 mo. old

• Options
    GO! 4 months olds are great because they still sleep a lot. The drive is not too long so just make sure he/she is fed right before you leave and it will probably sleep the whole way. You can not take it into the pool but you could totally bring your stroller and have it enjoy the fresh air, just make sure it is out of the sun. Since he/she won't be crawling or walking it won't be to stressful. I would absolutely say go. We took DD to Florida when she was 6 months old and we drove! She did GREAT!
    www.guyandevashop.com
  • Options

1.5 drive is NOTHING. Baby will probably sleep the whole drive, so I wouldn't worry about that. Just pack all the stuff you need and go! And you can bring a baby to the beach and pool!!! Just put lots of sunscreen on them and a little sun bonnet. She'll probably love splashing in the water!!

I've learned we don't give our kids enough credit, we think they're to young, or won't understand...thats farthest from the truth. Just keep baby in the shade ( bring an umbrella) and keep her cool. You'll have a blast!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I'd go. Your 4 month old could easily sleep the whole drive there and back.

You can take the baby to the pool or the beach. You'll want to find some sunscreen that's specifically for babies less than 6 months of age. FWIW, my parents had all of their children in swimming lessons by the time we were about 4 months old. =)

Just make sure that you plan things well! I'd work on a good packing list to make sure you have everything baby needs. That might include a swing, packnplay, stroller, etc. If you're alone, definitely try to plan the drive during her regular naptime and be prepared to stop several times if necessary. 

my read shelf:
    Erin's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options

imagefromymom:
    GO! 4 months olds are great because they still sleep a lot. The drive is not too long so just make sure he/she is fed right before you leave and it will probably sleep the whole way. You can not take it into the pool but you could totally bring your stroller and have it enjoy the fresh air, just make sure it is out of the sun. Since he/she won't be crawling or walking it won't be to stressful. I would absolutely say go. We took DD to Florida when she was 6 months old and we drove! She did GREAT!

See now the way you put it does sound not only doable but fun!  I am being a nervous 1st time mom to be!

• Options
    I'm taking out LO on a 10+ hour bus ride to New Orleans for a week long Youth Gathering. I'm in charge of 20 Youth. If LO and I can handle it, you definitely can!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    go have a good time. Young babies travel with no trouble.
  • Options
    Thanks ladies for all your responses!  I think I will tell me mom that we are in!  I am sure at that time it will be nice to get out of the house and have a change of scenery too.
  • Options
    Go.  you can't plan your life around the baby.  You can't stop doing things becasue you now have a kid.  Just bring the kid along. It will be fine.
  • Options
    I brought my first on vacay when he was 6 months old and although I didn't bring him in the sun so much it was still fun to have the whole fam together.
  • Options

4 month olds are really easy to travel with.  We took my DD on her first cross country flight around 3 months and it was the easiest one ever.  Our regular road trip to my parent's house was 8+ hours driving and was super easy when she was small and not mobile.

You can bring a 4 month old to the beach and pool.  Just use sunscreen and shade!

imageimage Ashley Sawtelle Photography
  • Options
    We are planning a trip to Florida when the baby is about 4 months old, and the place in FL is about a 10 hour drive for us.  We also have a 9 year old so we already know we will have to stop along the way but figure the baby will probably sleep most of the time.  We are also planning on going to Disney for atleast a day so we have no issues about traveling with him/her.
  • Options
    Go for it.  My sister graduates medical school six weeks after my due date and we are planning on driving the 2.5hrs up for that.  It sounds like you are concerned about driving alone.  Maybe you can convince someone to drive with you.
  • Options

When my son was 4 months old, we brought a inflatable baby pool to the beach, set it under an umbrella, and let him sit in a little water. Depending on what side of the Cape you're on, the ocean water could be cold or rough, so this was a nice way to provide some calm, warm water. He loved it and we got some great pictures!

I agree with the previous posters. Time it right and your baby will sleep through the ride. They are so portable at that age that going out to eat, shopping, etc. will be easy (especially with Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, etc to help!)

My annual Cape vacations with my son have been magical and I can't wait to add our new baby to the mix. Enjoy!

• Options

imagekelcat:
    Go for it.  My sister graduates medical school six weeks after my due date and we are planning on driving the 2.5hrs up for that.  It sounds like you are concerned about driving alone.  Maybe you can convince someone to drive with you.

Yes, I am a bit worried about that but 1.5 hrs is really not that long.  Possibly someone else in my family could tag along with me. 

I appreciate all the support! 

• Options

imagekelcat:

Yes, I am a bit worried about that but 1.5 hrs is really not that long.  Possibly someone else in my family could tag along with me. 

I appreciate all the support! 

• Options
    Why couldn't you bring a 4 MO to the pool or beach? Just make sure he/she has on sunscreen and a hat, he will be fine!
  • Options

I've been on flights with DD when she was 4 months old that were longer that your drive :) What people have said about feeding LO before you go is correct. And if he/she needs anything, you can easily pull over and feed/change him/her. 4 months old do not require a lot in terms of etertainment, so it will be easy. You shouldn't bring baby into pool, but you can hang out at the side or have family watch LO while you swim...

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"