2nd Trimester
Options

18 wks, over 35 y/o, ?s-some nbr some are br, and babblings

This is only my second post. I've been lurking for a while and now that I'm 18 weeks, I can't hold my tongue (or fingers, as the case may be).  I'm feeling particularly puffy today, abdominally, though because I'm already overweight, I sometimes think I just look fat (as opposed to pregnant).

OB asked me if I feel baby moving and I said "I don't know". She said "You'll know when you do."  The thing is: I don't know. So....here are a couple things I've felt. Tell me if any are baby related (I've heard that it can take longer for me to feel it because I'm overweight): Sometimes I feel 'twitches'...like if your eye was twitching...but in my abdomen. Sometimes it feels like gas but without the "pop" of gas bubbles, bloating, and pain of gas.  Thoughts?

Now.....I realize this post could go on a number of boards, and this question is directed to those over 35: When/if you had your 'high risk" ultrasounds...when did they share results with you? We told the dr we'd have the baby even if they found something 'suspicious', so I'm wondering if they're waiting even longer to share info.

Anyone out there ever have gastric bypass? If so, do you eat sugar? If you don't, what did YOUR dr say about artificial sweetners? OK or not OK?

OK...so those were all BR. My one question that's not: What's with the points I see underneath people's user names/number of posts?

Thanks in advance,

Sandi Big Smile

Re: 18 wks, over 35 y/o, ?s-some nbr some are br, and babblings

• Options
    All I can say is it sounds like your kid is kicking you! And I hope you get some more informative answers. :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Hi! Congrats on your pregnancy!! :) I can't really answer any of your questions except the baby movement one. It took me a while to feel my baby move, too, and I'm underweight...so I wouldn't be worried that you don't know if you can feel it yet. It is true that you will "know," but really not until it's literally kicking you. The first movements were very ambiguous to me, and I didn't REALLY KNOW for quite a few weeks after I had my first inkling of movement. What you are describing is likely your baby. But, I will say that the movement will be MUCH lower than you expect. Right now, your uterus is only up to a few inches below your belly button. And, most of the movement I still feel (at 22 weeks) is really near my pelvic bone. Baby often kicks the waistband of my pants, if that gives you any idea of how low you can expect to feel it.

I hope that helps at least a little! In a few weeks, I'm sure you'll be able to "know." Hopefully others can answer your other questions!

God bless!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I personally think your dr. was wrong about knowing that you'd feel the baby.  In the beginning, it is very hard to tell.  What you described sounds like baby but I'm sure you'll know soon enough.

I'm 36 but not considered high risk - I was offered and went for my NT scan last Friday unfortunately I'm farther along than they thought so they couldn't measure.  However, this office said they would call within 5-7 days with results.  I doubt they would wait b/c you said you'd keep the baby either way - maybe there is some type of delay.  I would call if you haven't heard in two weeks or so.

I've never had gastric bypass but my Dad had horrible acid reflux for years and had his esophagus removed.  When they did that, they hooked his stomach up to what was left of his esophagus - the only reason I'm telling you this is b/c they took part of his stomach so it was almost like he had a partial bypass.  He lost 30 lbs and has never re-gained them.  He had a lot of issues with sugar and simple carbs.  If he ate too many he would have what is called "dumping" syndrome in which the contents of your stomach drop immediately into your intestines - it's not pleasant.  I'm pretty sure he can have artificial sweeteners though.

I think the points are based on how many times you post.

Hope this helps :)

• Options
    Sounds like your baby is moving in there!  I'm 37 and had my NT ultrasound and bloodwork at 11 wks.  Everything measured great on the u/s so I didn't require a followup u/s, just more bloodwork a few weeks later.  I had my anatomy u/s at 19 wks.  Sorry, I can't help with your other questions.  Congrats & GL!!
  • Options

Sandi,

Sounds like your baby is moving.  It does feel like muscle twitches at first.  

I am 36 and will be 37 when I deliver.  We have decided against any type of amnio or any other invasive test procedures. I have had the NT scan, all the blood work recommended by my OB for AMA women and the advanced 2nd tri screen last week.  When I went in for my 12 week follow up, they took blood work for all the genetic screening and I had scheduled the NT scan the following week.  After my NT scan (done by the U/S technician at my OB's office), we met with my OB and she gave us the results based on the blood work that had come back and the NT scan measurements.  The blood work usually takes 5-7 days to come back so that's why my doctor had me schedule the NT scan 8 days later so she could combine the results of the blood work and the scan together to get an accurate answer.  We did some more blood work at 16 weeks for more genetic testing. Doctor called back in 5 days with the results.  We then had the in depth 20 week U/S with measurements.  Again, we were able to meet with my doctor right away with the results.  

All of our results came back with very low risk for any type of genetic disorders and everything seems to be developing according to textbook.  When the office had to send out the blood work to be evaluated, we were called within 5 days with the results.  My doctor has been very good about calling with results as soon as she gets them back.  Is your doctor not calling you with the results?

Good luck!

• Options

Thanks for the replies so far. Let me clarify....I'm asking about the bypass because I can't/don't eat sugar, and some sources say Splenda is safe and others say 'no'. I kind of take the approach that too much of anything isn't good, so I try to limit my intake of it (but when I want something sweet, I don't have much of a choice but to go with the fake stuff). I do avoid saccharin and the new fake sweetners because I doubt their safety....I also avoid Aspartame. Thoughts?

In terms of the points...what are they for?

My second u/s (with high risk dr) is on the 23rd...so I wasn't sure I'd hear anything before then. However, during the 1st ultrasound the technichian said she thought measurements looked normal. I didn't want to put too much weight on her opinion as it was 'unofficially' given, I think.

Thanks again! Big Smile

• Options

The 'twitches' are the baby.It will get stronger and feel more like pokes or popcorn soon. Is your placenta anterior? I had the 'twitches' this time, but not with DD and was wondering if it might be because my placenta is in a different place.

No answers about the u/s. I'm over 35. Had the NT scan at 12 weeks, was told the results within 7 days. I have not had any other u/s or unusual testing.

I have NOT had Gastric bypass, but am eating way too much sugar!!!

GL!!

Edit: Splenda is SAFE!!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageKat28655:

The 'twitches' are the baby.It will get stronger and feel more like pokes or popcorn soon. Is your placenta anterior? I had the 'twitches' this time, but not with DD and was wondering if it might be because my placenta is in a different place.

No answers about the u/s. I'm over 35. Had the NT scan at 12 weeks, was told the results within 7 days. I have not had any other u/s or unusual testing.

I have NOT had Gastric bypass, but am eating way too much sugar!!!

GL!!

Edit: Splenda is SAFE!!!

Thanks!

Ummm....I don't know much about my placenta. I read these boards sometimes and I feel like I don't get the same info that other people do. On the other hand I didn't know that info was anything I was 'missing' until now.

I don't get the twitches often, and someone else's answer made me think I was off-base, since mine seem higher up than she said they'd feel. I'm so confused. Confused

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"