Babies: 3 - 6 Months

4 months old, only eating five times a day

Normal?  Once he moved up to taking 5 oz. bottles instead of 4, he dropped his latest feeding (and shortly after his bedtime moved up).  That is 25 oz. a day (I assume--4 bottles and one nursing session) which I think is pretty normal, but I still worry he's not getting enough (he'd let me know that though, right?).  He does fuss sometimes when he finishes a bottle but is ok after a minute or so.  I don't really want to push much more than 5 oz. on him b/c he'll spit it up if I do.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: 4 months old, only eating five times a day

• my 5 month old only eats 4 times a day. if he was hungry, he's let you know. they say a baby needs at least 24 oz for bone development so your LO should be fine.
    Little Dude - Connor Michael 6/8/09
    Angel Face - Mya Brynn 12/9/11
    imageimage
  • DD won't take a bottle, so I have no clue how many ounces she gets a day.

But she used to eat 7 or 8 times a day.  Very recently she dropped to 6 times a day, occasionally 5.  It kind of freaks me out, but I figure she'll let me know if she's hungry.  I still feed her every two hours when she's awake, she's just started napping (finally), so she's not awake as many hours a day.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Apparently the doll needed a time out... image
  • Loading the player...
  • imagetlong:
    my 5 month old only eats 4 times a day. if he was hungry, he's let you know. they say a baby needs at least 24 oz for bone development so your LO should be fine.

Just nice to hear some reassurance!  I go through phases where I panic that I'm doing it all wrong.  :)  I'll be glad to go to his 4 month appointment in a couple of weeks to get that reassurance from the pedi. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • my dd is three months and only eats five times...but she is sometimes eating eight ounces.  She eats about 32oz a day.  I let her eat till she is satisfied.  She pushes the nipple out when she is done. 
    DD (8/12/09), DD (2/8/11)
    BFP 12/16/14| EDD 8/19/15 |MMC 1/15/15 (9 weeks 1 day)
  • DD only takes 5 bottles a day as well.  We've started her on rice cereal for lunch and dinner so I think that has curbed some of the extra hunger.  He would let you know if he was still hungry.
  • DD only was eating 5-6 bottles a day (she takes 6oz) but has dropped her 5:30am bottle, so is now only taking 4-5 bottles each day. If she gets 4, that's only 24oz she's getting! It has me worried too, but I guess if she were hungry or needed that extra bottle, she'd let me know.
    Camryn Grace ~ July 6th, 2009 ~ 7lbs 9oz, 20.5" Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
    Brayden Richard Drew ~ December 20, 2010~7lbs 9oz, 20" Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • DH tells me I'm stressing too much about this very thing.  I struggle to get DD to take 5 full 5oz bottles per day.  :(  Today I think she only took about 22oz for the day. 
  • I just recently asked my pedi about this. She said so long as he eats between 22-28 oz a day, he's fine. Sometimes they may eat less one day and then make up for it the next.

• As long as he's gaining weight adequately, which you'll find out at his 4 mo. appt, you should be fine.

I BF, so I'm not exactly sure how much DS eats, but I'm guessing it's around 35 oz./day since that is what I pumped the last time we were apart for a 24 hour period.

They say that babies need approximately 2 to 2.5 oz per pound of body weight per day.  I would try offering him bottles more frequently before increasing the amount he is eating per feeding.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• DS is just shy of 4 months and he eats, on average, four times a day (including one during the night) totaling about 25 ounces plus the cereal in them. 
    Contemplating the snow.
    Mes Petit Choux
    imageimageimage
    I can't go back to yesterday - because I was a different person then. ~ Alice

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageg8orell:
    DD only was eating 5-6 bottles a day (she takes 6oz) but has dropped her 5:30am bottle, so is now only taking 4-5 bottles each day. If she gets 4, that's only 24oz she's getting! It has me worried too, but I guess if she were hungry or needed that extra bottle, she'd let me know.

My DD exactly. Just dropped her 5 am feeding 2 weeks ago and only eats 6 oz 4-5 times a day now.

• I get the weekly, "what your ___ week old is doing" email and this one just came this morning: (sorry, don't now how to make it smaller)

As baby's belly gets bigger, she doesn't need to be fed as frequently. If she's solely breastfed, she probably wants to eat about six to eight times a day, while if she's not exclusively breastfed, four or five meals per day may do the trick. Either way, she'll let you know if she's not getting what she needs by crying and fussing.

Camryn Grace ~ July 6th, 2009 ~ 7lbs 9oz, 20.5" Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
    Brayden Richard Drew ~ December 20, 2010~7lbs 9oz, 20" Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • My DS was getting 5 6oz bottles at 4 months and probably eating between 25-27 oz/day.

We had a day last week where he only ate 22oz and I got worried, but I had to reassure myself that if he was hungry he would eat more or let me know he wanted to eat sooner/more frequently. I just kept an eye on it for a few days and he went back up closer to 30oz which is his "norm".  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"