Babies: 0 - 3 Months

2.5 month olds - how long do you nurse?

So LO has been STTN for two - three weeks now.  She started with little four hour stints and is now up to 6 - 7 hours per night.  It has been heaven, to say the least.  But she has also suddenly started nursing for longer than usual.  I expected the frequency to go back up (when she wasn't STTN she would go about three hours between feedings with one four hour stretch sometime during the day -- of course now with her STTN she nurses every two hours on the button).  But the duration of her nursing has increased - forty minutes at a minimum, she'll hang on for an hour if I let her.  It's been hard because although I am now very well rested, it's hard to leave the house without having to pull over the car somewhere to nurse.  Gah!

So yeah, how long do you typically nurse for?  Is this a growth spurt?  Will she learn to become more efficient? 

Re: 2.5 month olds - how long do you nurse?

• about 20 to 30 minutes. If I think he is taking to long I will squeeze my boob to help him out a little bit. That seems to help usually

Pregnancy Ticker

• I give him about 10-15 on each side.  He nurses every 2 hours during the day.  Congrats on STTN!  We're not there yet.  :(  Can NOT wait, though!
  • Loading the player...
  • DS nurses for 5-10 minutes at a time (always has - I guess he's just efficient), and goes anywhere from 1.5 to 4 hours between feedings - I just feed on demand. He does seem to eat about the same number of times each day though (around 7 plus maybe a couple at night).
  • Our LO has been STTN (almost every night) for just over a week now (which is heaven, yes!) and she eats usually every 2-3 hours through the day and closer to every hour from about 6p.m. - 9p.m. when she goes to bed.  Each feeding she eats for 10 minutes tops on one side only.  She is a power feeder I guess and I know I am lucky.  She is over 24 inches long now and over 13lbs.

I should also say that I EBF.

• my LO is quite the opposite.  i wish she would nurse for longer, but i am lucky to get in a 15 minute feeding.  i only wish she would nurse longer, because my supply keeps dropping and i am not a good pumper...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Mine used to be a super fast eater, but I have also noticed a similar pattern...two hours during the day, and he will usually go about 20 minutes. Sometimes he wants to comfort nurse afterwards, too.

But I can't complain when he sleeps from 9-5 most nights!

Um, yeah. The Bump be too crazy for pics of my kid.
  • about 15-20min....anything over that I usually switch to a pacifier because he isn't swallowing anymore just sucking.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"