2nd Trimester
Options

Do I NEED a glider/rocker?

2nd+ time moms who already have experience- your input is greatly appreciated!

We have a gorgeous armchair and ottoman that goes beautifully with baby's stuff. I really do not want to spend the money on a glider (not even on CL where I'm finding them around $200) with all the crap we have going on right now.

Will I regret that? I know I can always buy one of I find myself wanting one but...in the very first few weeks will I hate myself for not having a rocker?

Re: Do I NEED a glider/rocker?

• Options
    I am curious too!!!!
  • Options
    We got one with our first daugher, and honestly; we could've done without it. Newborns sleep all the time: they don't necessarily need a glider to do it in.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I liked mine.  It was nice to put up my feet (it had a gliding ottoman), since I felt like I was always feeding my baby--It was nice for when he fell asleep in my arms, I could relax and read a book or something.
  • Options

From my experience when I was a nanny, I would die without it! The little girl loved rocking and it made for a nice relaxing way to calm down before going to sleep. But there is no saying that she wouldn't have been fine with just sitting and snuggling or me standing and rocking her. But most babies love the rocking motion.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers imageimage
  • Options
    i don't think so.  we have a rocking chair we used w/ DD, but it was never essential for anything.  we would just do quiet time on it.
  • Options
    I have a wooden rocker in DS' room, but it is not comfy and this time I am definitely splurging on a comfy glider.  You spend so much time holding the LO and not sleeping in the beginning, and I want a comfy place to do it.  Ideally, I'm looking for one that is wide enough for DS and the new LO and I to sit in comfortably to rock, read, sing, etc.  I have a comfy couch that has a chaise in the basement, but it was hard to get out of when I was newly postpartum and holding DS. 
  • Options
    YES!!! I hated the idea of spending the money, but it's one of my favorite purchases. DD loved to be rocked and at 2 1/2, when she's not happy or feeling well she still likes to be rocked!!! We didn't have the $ for the matching ottaman. This time I will get a nursing stool because it helps to have your feet elevated a bit when nursing.
  • Options
    This is my first baby, but I have nanny experience, and sometimes that glider or rocker is a lifesaver -- like when the kiddo still wants motion to calm him/her down, but you've already been walking around for an hour or your arms are tired of carrying baby.  You still get the motion, but you get to relax and put your feet up, too.  I'm definitely getting one.
  • Options
    I think a chair of some sort is necessary (for reading, feeding, etc.), but not necessarily a glider or rocker. I have a glider, but really don't rock much at all. DS never needed it, so for us a chair would have sufficed. Just as long as there is somewhere to sit, it should be fine.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I think like most things it depends on the kid. Don't you wish you just knew ahead of time what LO would like/need and what he would hate?!
  • Options
    I used to nanny for a little boy with bad colic and I would have quit if it wasn't for his glider or his swing.  I nannied for another family later on that didn't have a glider and got by without it.  That family then had another baby and decided to have one, there was a marked difference in how easy it was to get that baby to sleep than the other children.  With that said, DH and I have been debating this...it is pricey.  A friend of mine just got one from Walmart though, it was $150 and she loves it.  We might go that route. 
    Asher Benjamin and Lola Aisling

Infertility
    PCOS, Progesterone Deficiency Disorder, Multiple Miscarriage
    Clomid, Metformin, Ovadril, PIO, P17 Iron/Platlet Tranfusion

My Spring Babies! 
    <3 Angel Baby   Elisabeth Adelle  April 2008 <3
    Asher Benjamin  April 2010
    Lola Aisling  May 2014
  • Options
    Thanks for the input. I'll keep scouring second hand shops and see if just the arm chair is good enough for me. I can always buy the glider later if I really feel like I need one.
  • Options
    We had one with DD.  She was NOT a baby who ever wanted to be held or rocked unless we were walking or it was time to eat (and then, I fed her in our Poang from Ikea).  She hated the glider.  She's now 3 and the only reason it came out of storage is because she wanted a rocking chair to rock her "babies" in.  The entire time I had it in her room as a baby it just became a catch-all for everything.  DH had one for his DS (former marriage), and theirs was never used either.
  • Options
    Could not have lived without it.
  • Options
    It worked out great if she couldnt settle for a nap and got her night bottle there.  If you have a chair than I wouldnt worry about it. 
  • Options

imo, yes.  it was so crucial to have a quite, dark place with a comfy chair to feed and put ds to sleep when he was younger.  now he gets storytime there, but at this point it's not crucial that it's a glider/rocker.  when he was younger though, it needed movement to sooth him to sleep.

with the next one, i'm going to replace it with a rocker from our living room and move the glider into the new nursery.  i need that thing for bfing.

course, take my opinion as you will.  i spent $35 on the crib and $800 on the glider.  it was that important to me.

• Options
    Just use the armchair and ottoman.  It will serve the same function!
  • Options
    Being a 2nd timer, I say pass. I am getting one this time around but thats only because we gave away the other arm chair I used to use with my daughter. If you arm chair matches then use it! 
  • Options
    I think it depends on your child.  We did NOT get one with DD as we had an armchair in her room.  We ended up borrowing a glider from my parents later on because rocking was the only way to get her to sleep.   You could try without it and see if it seems like a need after baby arrives.
  • Options
    nope. the only time i ever use our glider is toddler years (reading books, etc). i never EVER used it for newborns
    aidan kincaid (12.19.06) sawyer grace (7.30.08) 
    reese madeline (5.11.10) miller paige (2.6.12)
    girl #5 due december 2013.

13 galveston1

IG: punkfictionv4

• Options
    Both my children LOVE the glider, so much so that I just picked up a third for the new baby's room.  My dd (who will be 2 1/2 when our 3rd arrives) still loves for me to read to her before naps and bedtime while rocking in the glider.  It is just very soothing for her (and comfy for me as well).  I did a lot of reading on gliders (brands, etc), then began to look on Craigslist for the one I wanted.  I picked up our first 2 that way and the third at a garage sale.  You can always keep an eye out and pick one up if you find a deal. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"