South Florida Babies

packing hospital bag for South Miami?

I've started making a list of what I need to pack for my hospital bags, and a lot of the examples I've found online say that certain things differ from hospital to hospital in terms of what they provide you with and what they don't provide you with (for example, I read somewhere that some hospitals don't have newborn diapers...only Size 1).

So for those of you who delivered at South Miami Hospital, can you give me an idea of more or less what the hospital gave you during your stay versus what you needed to pack? TIA!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: packing hospital bag for South Miami?

• My Blog: One Project at a Time Blog

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

My Chart
    CP 05/09
    BFP on 7/26/09 - M/C 8/13/09 @ 7 Wks
    BFP on 10/28/09 - M/C 11/9/09 @ 5 Wks 2 Days
    1/25/10 - RPL results everything normal but have low Progesterone
    BFP on 06/09/10 - EDD 02/20/2011
  • If you do not mind me asking, who is your Doc?

My Blog: One Project at a Time Blog

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

My Chart
    CP 05/09
    BFP on 7/26/09 - M/C 8/13/09 @ 7 Wks
    BFP on 10/28/09 - M/C 11/9/09 @ 5 Wks 2 Days
    1/25/10 - RPL results everything normal but have low Progesterone
    BFP on 06/09/10 - EDD 02/20/2011
  • Loading the player...
  • South Miami did not have newborn diapers, I had to send my dad out to get them, definitely bring those.  Bring a pillow.  I brought my own pads and undies - I got cheap undies at Target and brought those b/c I really hated the mesh panties and pads they provided I had to cut the elastic a bit so they weren't so tight but I didn't care, I wasn't going to use them ever again anyway!!  Other than that - the usual toiletries that you would pack for a couple nights away.  I chose to formula feed and S. Miami provided the small bottles of formula and nipples.  I'm not sure what they give you if you nurse though. 

Ask away if you have questions about something that I may not have mentioned!! Oh, I found that a lot of those online lists have waaaaay too much stuff on them.  

image image

• South Miami had all of the baby supplies we needed, including diapers and wipes. We never had to buy a thing. The only things we brought were the baby were clothes and stuff for me. For me, I liked the hospital pads and undie things. I recommend socks and slippers and a robe for yourself to walk around the floor. I brought the boppy pillow for Sophie and got use out of it. Ummm........my pillow. A blanket and pillow for DH. Don't forget toiletries for DH.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Then again, Sophie was 8lbs 8oz so its possible they were size 1 diapers. I had no idea! LOL.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Holy crap...I can'y believe your actually writing this already. She is really almost here...yipeeeee!!!!

Ok. so yes the hospital only has size 1 but who cares, your just fold down the top and they fit just fine...besides their free, save yours for when you go home. And if she comes out like you then they will fit fine, lol. Take your boppy if your gonna BF. All your toiletries including soap and shampoo/conditioner...our suck. Socks and a robe and I would take a comfy pair of sweat pants...if you end up with a c-section you prob. wont be able to bend over to shave your legs! Dont forget a razor too, clothes for the baby, they spit up alot the first few days. A going home outfit..yellow for us cubans. Footed sleepers are best so they dont get cold. Breast pads, we don not carry them. I fi think of anythign ill call you!! OMG now i am really, really super excited for christmas at abuela's house!!!!!!!!!

-J

• Alexis was little, 6lbs 4oz so the size 1 diapers were HUGE! Even if i folded them - there was no way she could fit into them!!

And I also got a dress-like sleepy thing - no pants! 

Like Mel pointed out -the undies are a personal thing, my issue was that with the mesh, the sticky part of the pad was still a little exposed on the bottom and it was sticking to my legs - ick.  I know some people love them and take extra home!! 

image image

• SMH provided a lot of things and from what I remember, they had diapers (we used size 1, Joshua was 8lbs, 15oz lol), wipes, nasal suction, little shirts, pads, socks...What I brought from home were: pillows, my own pjs and sweatpants/shirts, socks, panties, my own pads, all of my own toiletries although they provided a toothbrush/toothpaste, soap, shampoo. I brought outfits for the baby and my own baby soap (we use aveeno), baby lotion, comb. Thats as far as I remember. But if u forget anything, u can just send dh home to pick it up. thats what i did :) 
  • Thanks ladies...keep the suggestions coming!

Chachita, my doc is Francisco Jimenez (along with Siman, Perez, and Nikitin).

And yesssss Jackie she is really close!!!! Only 30-something days till my due date. I am in lala land thinking that I still have all the time in the world but she will be here before we know it!

• Jen,

I started writing out my list yesterday afternoon. I'm sure it will differ a little bit from what you'll need considering it's already 50 degrees over here. If you want though, I can email it to you to get an idea. It's nowhere near complete, but it's a start.

• imageUMwife:

Jen,

I started writing out my list yesterday afternoon. I'm sure it will differ a little bit from what you'll need considering it's already 50 degrees over here. If you want though, I can email it to you to get an idea. It's nowhere near complete, but it's a start.

That sounds good! We should def. exchange lists.

• Yep, just PM or post your email and let me know :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"