Breastfeeding
Options

mastitis, plugged duct, or just engorged?

I have all of the symptoms for mastitis except the high fever (I had a low fever (99.3) that was relieved with tylenol) & no red spot on the breast (I googled images).  It could also be a plugged duct but I also have flu-like symptoms.  My achyness/fatigue stopped after I ate some food and took some tylenol--for the most part.  I can also attribute feeling achey/weak & tired to realizing I have not been eating enough.

From what I've read, the Dr. will want to see me if I might have mastitis.  Since it's Saturday, I am sure that I will have to wait until Monday--so I was going to wait and see how I feel tomorrow.  Could I really hurt myself by waiting to call til Monday?  I do not want to go to the ER on halloween & w/ the flu going around--but I would hate to make matters worse. (and since I dont have a high fever & redness on the breast--I would hate for it to just be engorgement) 

Anyone that has had mastitis or a plugged duct have any insight?  Thanks!

Re: mastitis, plugged duct, or just engorged?

• Options

I had mastitis and never had the red spot. I had a high fever at first and flu-like symptoms (aching, chills, weakness, headache). Then my fever dropped down to a low grade fever. Tylenol helped relieve the fever.

If I were you and you're not super uncomfortable, I would wait it out if you can since you're likely to sit in the ER for hours and hours since it's not a life-threatening emergency. It was 2 days before I saw the Dr. and got any antibiotics, and I was fine. That said, I was in a lot of pain so I would've preferred sooner than later. It did reduce my supply for a week or two but it went right back to normal after that.

But do what you're comfortable with!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I got clogged ducts with my 1st all the time in the first month or so and it hurt like hell. You could certainly give them a call...check your temp before calling them because I am sure they will ask what it is...but at least you will have piece of mind by calling them....

That being said, the thing that would help when I had this problem was massaging the area..(it hurts like heck, but I would really push hard) while DD was nursing , or I would pump, but her suck was stronger than the pump and also I would hold a very warm, hot facecloth on the hardened area to help.

Once it unclogs you will know believe me!!

Good luck...and hope you feel better soon.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"