Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Working moms

For those that are working, do you have any words of wisdom for me?  I have a 2.5 month old and start on Monday. I'm sitting here crying. 

Re: Working moms

• I haven't gone back to work yet, but just keep thinking, your doing this for your little one (college, nice things, house, etc).  That's what I keep telling myself anyway.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • This is why I became a SAHM .. my heart just couldn't handle it. 

They say that the first week or so is the hardest.  You can get through it.

Is a family member going to be taking care of LO?

• Loading the player...
  • Try to get as much ready as you can at night instead of waiting for the morning. Wait and wake up your LO until you have to. Call as many times as you need to. They are used to it and probably expect it.
  • I cried every day for the first week, but at this point we just can't afford for me to be a SAHM.  I know I am doing what I need to do to give DS everything I can.  It is hard, but it has gotten easier.  I am lucky that my mom watches DS so I call her everyday and check on him and she puts the phone to his ear.  He often coos at me and it makes me happy to know that even though I'm not there he is having a good time.  It is nice to get out of the house and talk to adults though.
  • first of all, it's ok to cry.  unfortunately there's no way around that I don't think.  my #1 tip would be to wear waterproof makeup that first day.  :) 

I agree with PP about getting everything ready the night before-it will reduce the stress the morning of.  Call as frequently as you want.  Also, keep yourself as busy as possible.  I was really lucky that we were incredibly busy my first night back to work so I wasn't able to dwell on being away from her which certainly helped. 

And just think that with your income hopefully you will be less stressed about finances and be able to provide her with different opportunities that you might not be able to without you working-both of which are great things for your LO.  Remember too that if your job makes you happy-a happy mama=a happy baby in the end.  Good luck! 

• my dh keeps telling me LO will be fine. both him and i went to daycare and dont remember a thing about it. if you realize that, then its ok, as kids all we remmeber are the good memoires w/ our parents, not being in day care. I cant say it gets easeir, b/c after working 50 hrs a week you still have to be a mom/housekeeper/dog walker/chef/laundry doer, etc. GL
  • Are you taking LO to a daycare, sitter, or family?  DD is watched by a woman who has a daughter 7 months older than DD.  They LOVE to play with each other, which has made leaving her easier.

The first day is rough.  I had tears in my eyes when I dropped her off... and she was sleeping so I felt bad just leaving her there.  But when I got to work, I was busy and back into the swing of things. 

Def try to get everything ready the  night before.  My sitter lets me leave a bag there at the beginning of the week and I pick it up on Fridays just to have one less thing to carry with me.  Don't be afraid to call and check on LO.  They expect it. 

Good luck!  Just remember why you are returning to work....

• I cried every day for the first week.  It was and is so hard.  I promise you that it DOES get better.  Know that you are a great mom and you are doing what is best for your family.  Hang in there!
  • take it day by day.  Have your DH go with you when you drop LO at daycare (if that's what you are doing.) Have some pictures of baby with you at work.  It'll get easier.

• I cried a lot at first.  The whole way to work each time.  At first, I changed to a night shift job thinking it would be easier to leave at night when he was sleeping.  But I didn't think about him waking up at night and looking around frantically for me and freaking out.  Plus I had to sleep more during the day.  So I changed jobs and now work primarily pms.  By the time I got this job, I felt much better about working.  I think it helps when you like where you are at.  It also helps to think that there are MANY moms (single or not) who have to work multiple jobs and hardly see thier kids.  There are also families in 3rd world countries who have moms at home but have decrepit living conditions.  Our children are blessed to have such safe and loving environments.
  • No words of advice but I am going back tomorrow too and feel sick to my stomach about it.

DD will be home with MH - he works evenings so at least that helps a little but I still want to be the one caring for her! 

I want to be a SAHM so bad but we could not make ends meet on one salary.

• I start work as well tom and my heart is breaking. I've been crying everyday for the past week. My LO will be staying with MIL.

Everyone says it will get better but I just don't see how???!!!!!!

=(

• This post just reaffirms that I'm a freak of nature.

I didn't and haven't cried yet and I've been back since she was 9 weeks. Does it stink to have to work, yes, but honestly, i felt that way before DD was born ;o) 

I really love what I do and am uber busy at work, so it's not hard for me. I'm the breadwinner of the family, so I have to work and look forward to teaching my daughter all the cool things mommy does.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"