1st Trimester
Options

safe acne medication?

So my dermatologist told me benzoyl peroxide wasnt safe or recommended during pregnancy. I stopped using it and my acne is out of control. I went to the OBG yesterday and she surprised me and said there was nothing wrong with using peroxide on your skin during pregnancy. So now I am not sure what is true...any idea? should i just stay away just to be sure?

Re: safe acne medication?

• Options
    I used it this and last pregnancy.  Stay away from Accutane and you should be fine.  My skin reacted different each time I was pg.  This time I am having luck with with biore. Last time I had to use from $40 per bottle stuff that I can't even find anymore. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    There's no way to know for sure, but i think Benzoyl Peroxide is generally considered "safe" but Salicylic Acid is not. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My derm gave me a prescription erythromycin topical antibiotic that is safe- my ob agreed that it was completely safe- it helps a little
    Baby #3
    BabyFetus Ticker>
  • Options

imageccdcny:
    So my dermatologist told me benzoyl peroxide wasnt safe or recommended during pregnancy. I stopped using it and my acne is out of control. I went to the OBG yesterday and she surprised me and said there was nothing wrong with using peroxide on your skin during pregnancy. So now I am not sure what is true...any idea? should i just stay away just to be sure?

On Thursday my Dermatologist prescribed benzoyl peroxide for my acne...as a face wash...and cleocin (or topical antibiotic) for stray pimples...

• Options
    i use proactive. benzoyl peroxide is safe. 
  • Options

imagejessie55:
    My derm gave me a prescription erythromycin topical antibiotic that is safe- my ob agreed that it was completely safe- it helps a little

My dermo gave me this as well.  She also gave me Finacea which is a cream to treat Rosacea, but it has helped with my acne some as well!

My dermo said that same thing about benzoyl peroxide - haven't asked the OB about it yet.  On safefetus.com, all of the benzoyl peroxide creams are class C drugs, so that frightened me away a little. 

• Options
    imageRachieSLP:

imagejessie55:

My dermo gave me this as well.  She also gave me Finacea which is a cream to treat Rosacea, but it has helped with my acne some as well!

My dermo said that same thing about benzoyl peroxide - haven't asked the OB about it yet.  On safefetus.com, all of the benzoyl peroxide creams are class C drugs, so that frightened me away a little. 

Okay, I lied - it was clindomycin topical antibiotic (called Evolcin). 

• Options
    I have a prescription for Clindamycin (a topical solution) and my doctor said it was okay to use....but I only use it for spot treatments. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"