TTC After a Loss
Options

Just got the phone call about SIL's 2nd baby shower...

Blehhhh...I'm terrible, I know, but I just DID NOT want to go. I had gotten tickets for dd to see an Elmo show next weekend and thought I'd be at the show w/her---but nope, they moved the time up.....so I guess I'm in charge of bringing the drinks now---pop, water, etc.

I feel so guilty that I don't want to be there, but I just don't. I have no desire to go get flooded w/a million questions about when we're planning to have another one, or why I haven't had another one, blah, blah, blah......and to make matters worse, my MIL is not hte type to help me out and defend me, even though she now knows we've been ttc for awhile....she's the type that will go right along w/the joking/teasing.......(for example, the other day she was feeling sick and she said, "Oh, oh, I know what it is! I'm pregnant! Wouldn't my boys just die!!! ::;and proceeds to giggle and laugh like a teenager)!!!!----------------and SHE KNOWS ABOUT MY LOSS AND THAT WE'VE BEEN TTC FOR MONTHS NOW!!!)

I soooooo dread this! Shewwww....that puts me in a raw mood now.....

Re: Just got the phone call about SIL's 2nd baby shower...

• Options

I would have said something along the lines of "I'd rather slit my own throat with a poo encrusted knife"

But that's just me.

Who has a second baby shower for a baby of the same sex? That's just wrong.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Labor Buddy to Blowfish11
  • Options
    Can you drop the drinks off early Bethany?  and just leave saying you had other plans before they bumped the time up?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Say you have H1N1. They'll not only not expect you there, they'll bar you from getting within a 10 mile radius!
  • Options
    Can you fake sick or something? Make your H drop the drinks off and say that you aren't feeling good and didn't want to get anyone sick. Then you and him can go out for a nice dinner or something to get your mind off of it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imagecandycane3t:
    Can you drop the drinks off early Bethany?  and just leave saying you had other plans before they bumped the time up?

Don't think so. The Elmo show is at 7p (I think, I need to double check the tickets)......and they moved the shower up to 2p....

I don't have her anything. Probably won't either. For one, she already has everything. She put my nephew in a twin bed so she could reuse the nursery furniture/bedding, and she kept all of his clothes---even though the seasons don't match up, I'm sure she'll get plenty........Plus, I think it would've been way more tactful to have a "diaper party" or a "meet the baby" shower after he was born. (Since she's already had a boy and already had a MASSIVE baby shower when she was ku w/him)......Second, just bc dh got awesome news and we're getting backpay, we don't have it yet. Probably won't for a weeks (paper processing, physicals, testing, etc). So I really don't have the $$ anyway.......

• Options
    I just went through this last weekend. My SIL is having a second boy- three years apart and her friend felt the need to throw her a shower. The only thing that made it tolerable for me was the anger my SIL had because she thought it was tacky that they threw her te surprise shower. I really hope it will go by fast for you and they will all focus on the guest of honor and not you!
    BFP #1: DS born 11/07 BFP #2: m/c @ 8w 5d d&c
  • Options
    Uggg ... I just skipped my SIL's (1st) baby shower a few weeks ago. I never gave a reason why I couldn't be there, just politely declined. My other 2 SIL's asked why I wasn't coming and I'm close enough to them to tell them why and they were totally fine with if anyone asked where I was they just told people the truth, that I just wasn't ready for a baby shower. I did send cupcakes and a gift though. Maybe you can do the same. Just let your SIL know unfortunately you won't be able to make it, and send drinks? Nobody has to know why, and I'm not one for making things up as that can come back and bite you later. But seriously, if you aren't ready to attend, don't. People will just have to deal with it. Big hugs to you!!
  • Options

imageLMichelleG:
    Uggg ... I just skipped my SIL's (1st) baby shower a few weeks ago. I never gave a reason why I couldn't be there, just politely declined. My other 2 SIL's asked why I wasn't coming and I'm close enough to them to tell them why and they were totally fine with if anyone asked where I was they just told people the truth, that I just wasn't ready for a baby shower. I did send cupcakes and a gift though. Maybe you can do the same. Just let your SIL know unfortunately you won't be able to make it, and send drinks? Nobody has to know why, and I'm not one for making things up as that can come back and bite you later. But seriously, if you aren't ready to attend, don't. People will just have to deal with it. Big hugs to you!!

Would love to do this---but I'd be deemed the Devil for the rest of my life. Right after she found out she was ku, she went crying to her mom and aunts/family saying how awful I acted----(I know this bc she admitted to me that she did this and that they all sided w/her and thought I was being ridiculous bc miscarriages happen all the time and I should've been excited for her---)

• Options
    imagebebeblues:

imageLMichelleG:

Would love to do this---but I'd be deemed the Devil for the rest of my life. Right after she found out she was ku, she went crying to her mom and aunts/family saying how awful I acted----(I know this bc she admitted to me that she did this and that they all sided w/her and thought I was being ridiculous bc miscarriages happen all the time and I should've been excited for her---)

Hmmm maybe I should give her a call. ;) That sucks though. Ok maybe you need to come down with an illness next weekend. 24 hour flu? An unexplained rash, a cough ... something that only lasts a very short time.

• Options
    imageColindaP:
    Say you have H1N1. They'll not only not expect you there, they'll bar you from getting within a 10 mile radius!
  • Options
    imageColindaP:
  • Options
    Since you're bringing the drinks, I suggest you bring some cocktails for yourself. The only way I'd get through that is some heavy drinking. And since she's preggers and can't enjoy it, tough noogies for her.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    computer freaked - but i meant to say - this! tell them you think you have the swine flu! let H drop off the drinks. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"