TTC After a Loss

Give me some Ideas please. (food related)

Ok so Im good at cooking and I love too cook, but mainly very indepth things. Like chicken marsala, roast chicken, anything pasta/Italian. but when it comes to cooking simple things I always get stuck at Hamburger Helper. I need so Ideas. Im about to go grocery shopping and I have no clue on what to get for dinner for the next couple of weeks. Anybody got any quick easy ideas?
3 Early Miscarriages 4 rounds of Clomid BFP = 11/16/10 ~ EDD July 29th 2011 Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Give me some Ideas please. (food related)

• chicken pot pie. It is really easy and really good. Let me know if you want the recipe 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Spaghetti w/ meat sauce (make a ton of sauce, freeze a bunch, thaw what you need - add sausage, ground beef, chicken, wahtever and pasta or spaghetti squash and voila!)

Cook <pick a meat> in hte crock pot, then all week you can add it to sandwiches, wraps, salads, omelettes, tacos, fajitas, etc

When you make a lasagna or other casserole, make 2 and freeze one for an instant meal later.

I realize I live in Phoenix where it's nice all year, but never underestimate te appeal of meat & veggies fresh off the grill! Yummmm and easy!?

• Loading the player...
  • quesidillas, nachos, chicken fingers & fries, tacos, popcorn chicken bowls, soup and sandwich, stew or chili in a can
  • Oh and breakfast for dinner. 

Turkey bacon, eggs and toast.

Then use left over turkey bacon a couple of nights later with pancakes.

Thats two nights with minimum effort and yummy results.  

• Candycane, I must know what a popcorn chicken bowl is.

Eff the turkey bacon. Get you some REAL bacon.?

• imageColindaP:

Spaghetti w/ meat sauce (make a ton of sauce, freeze a bunch, thaw what you need - add sausage, ground beef, chicken, wahtever and pasta or spaghetti squash and voila!)

Cook <pick a meat> in hte crock pot, then all week you can add it to sandwiches, wraps, salads, omelettes, tacos, fajitas, etc

When you make a lasagna or other casserole, make 2 and freeze one for an instant meal later.

I realize I live in Phoenix where it's nice all year, but never underestimate te appeal of meat & veggies fresh off the grill! Yummmm and easy! 

I do the multiple dishes all the time and freeze for other meals, casseroles, lasagnas, chili, stew, sheppards pie.

Another time saving idea is I buy my hamburger in bulk and the fry up the entire package.  I then take it and put it in baggies a freeze.  Take a bag out and microwave for 1 minute on high and you are ready to add to whatever you are making that needs beef!

• Yeah, when I make actual burgers (I add diced onion and McCormick's hamburger seasoning - omg it is the best ever - and W-shire sauce) I make extras and freeze them.

We always have red meat in the freezer. DH hunts and we often have elk, and we buy our beef directly from a local rancher so we get 1/4 of a steer at once.

• imageColindaP:

Candycane, I must know what a popcorn chicken bowl is.

Eff the turkey bacon. Get you some REAL bacon. 

Real bacon is actually healthier for you than turkey.

Popcorn chicken bowl is super easy to make and I am copying it from KFC.  You back the popcorn chicken in the oven like normal.  In the mean time make mashed potatoes (DH loves instant so that is even earier) you will need to warm a can of corn and some gravy (either from a can/jar or your own).  Take potatoes and place on bottom of bowl, add corn, then popcorn chicken, then shredded cheese and top with the grave.....it is so easy, only 5 ingredients and delish!

• oh I meant browning your beef to make loose hamburger beef like you would add into hamburger helper.  The hamburger patties idea is a time saver too.
  • imagecandycane3t:

Real bacon is actually healthier for you than turkey.

Thank you! Saturated fat is GOOD FOR YOU, ladies. It's the poly unsaturated fats and omega-6s that are not. Plus, even if you don't believe me, real bacon has ~20-30 more calories and 3 more grams of fat per 2 slices than real bacon. Not a significant different.

Thank you for clarifying the popcorn chicken bowl thing. I was thinking popcorn + chicken + bowl, not popcorn chicken + bowl. Durrr......?

• imageColindaP:

Yeah, when I make actual burgers (I add diced onion and McCormick's hamburger seasoning - omg it is the best ever - and W-shire sauce) I make extras and freeze them.

We always have red meat in the freezer. DH hunts and we often have elk, and we buy our beef directly from a local rancher so we get 1/4 of a steer at once.

Oh my send me some please!! When I was growing up there was a cow farm right across the street from my house and the old man that owned it was amazing, He would slauder 2 for him and his family and sell the others, he would always give my parents a few steaks. There is nothing like fresh meat. the stuff you buy at walmart just isnt the same.

3 Early Miscarriages 4 rounds of Clomid BFP = 11/16/10 ~ EDD July 29th 2011 Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Pseudo Mexican Dish

This is really easy and quick.

Make rice-any kind- enough for who you are trying to feed. Set aside

1 can black beans

1 can Mexi corn or "Fiesta" corn ( corn with pepper and spices)

1 jar salsa

Chicken breast or canned chicken

Lime juice and seasonings

Saute chicken with lime juice until done (or heat canned chicken with lime juice) Add seasoning to taste.  Cut into chunks.  I usually use garlic, cilantro, salt, a little cayenne, and cumin but you can add or leave out as it suits you.  Mix in the  beans, corn, and salsa.  Serve over rice. You can add shredded cheese or sour cream if you wish. 

My kids even like using chips and eating it like dip.You could also do this with ground beef.   You can make it feed as many as you need by adding more rice and chicken, etc.  I leave out the chicken for oldest DD who has decided to be a pescquetarian(vegetarian who eats fish and dairy).  DS likes to add hot sauce. My sister forgot to make the rice once and said it was more like soup and they ate it anyway. I always keep the ingredients on hand.  If you use instant rice and the canned chicken, you can have it done in about 20 mins.

dd(Brianna) 11/01/94, ds(Bram)10/17/95, ds(Jesse)9/26/97, dd (Annie Ruth) 7/27/05 5mc Jan '08, May '08, Feb '09, Sept '09, Apr '11 "And can it be that in a world so full and busy, the loss of one weak creature makes a void in any heart, so wide and deep that nothing but the width and depth of vast eternity can fill it up." - Charles Dickens

PAL/PGAL Welcome

• Ashley: www.eatwild.com. Git you some! That's where I found a local rancher. The farmers and ranchers on the Eat Wild site raise pastured animals. The ranch we get our beef from uses no antibiotics or hormones (which, yes, means they cull their herd) and the cows are 100% grass-fed and finished. Less icky omega 6s, more lovely omega 3s. And they raise, slaughter and process their own beef. So the animals are raised and slaughtered humanely and not dredged through the slaughterhouse filth before being packaged. Plus, the ranch is open to the public. There is no price that can be put on that kind of transparency. A once-every-10-years USDA inspection can't hold a candle to that.

I'm sorry for the ramble. Don't get ColindaP started on food & nutrition unless you want a thesis :-)?

• I'm like you, DH and I usually cook complicated meals, but if we need a quick standy meal, it's always taco's, soup and sandwiches or a big salad with chicken on it (we buy the tyson strips and cut them up and put them on top). Enjoy! :)

• our favorite standby is huevos rancheros from Smitten Kitchen.  It's quick, light and very easy.  Yum!

https://smittenkitchen.com/2008/07/huevos-rancheros/

• I have 3 fabulous chicken recipes - Chicken Marbella, Philippine Chicken, and Caesar Chicken. PM and I can give the recipe. They are easy standards in my house.

We also keep hamburgers and kielbasa handy in the house cause we can always throw those on the grill.

Ooh, and I do a yummy Turkey Monte Cristo. It's hearty enough for dinner and it's delish. Let me know if you want the recipes! :)

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"