Cincinnati Babies

please help me with my mommy guilt

Brandon is spending the night at MIL's Tuesday this week because dh and I both have to be out the door by 6:30 Wednesday, which is at least an hour before B has been waking up in the morning.  It's election day so I have to work but it will be a much easier day (no students). 

I had said to MIL that I will probably come and hang out there for a few hours to play with Brandon in the afternoon.  DH won't get home until at least 10 that night, so I have about 7 hours from the time I'm home (or at MIL's) until he gets home.  MIL has told me I can take the "day off" if I want.  I'm feeling really guilty about this one!  I have the option of an evening at home with no dh or B (read: house entirely to myself for 7+ hours and B isn't even sleeping), and while I know I would enjoy the break, I feel guilty about not going to see my son... 

Re: please help me with my mommy guilt

• Honestly, if you can use the day to recharge and relax, it will ultimately make you a more patient and happy mom later on, and Brandon will never know the difference of where you were. I understand the horrible guilt but this age that our DCs are right now is a VERY busy one. Leah is on the move 24/7-- she never even sits down-- and the only break I get is when she's sleeping, so I imagine you feel the same way. I would love some time to eat a meal where I could chew my food and not feel like some sort of referee, or clean and not worry about how much I could cram in to make the house look livable before she wakes up, etc. Or even read the paper and know there aren't 70 other things I should be doing in my free hour, you know? I would take the break for yourself. You work hard and you're a good mom and you deserve some time. If nothing else, take a few hours to yourself and then reassess if you want to go and see him or take more time for yourself, if that's possible. But I say take a break! You are lucky to have the opportunity!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • How often do you get the chance to have a day to yourself?  How many days are you home with your DS with a million and one things to do, and no time to do everything while entertaining him?  I would go for that deal and not feel a bit guilty.  Especially if you can get stuff done that you otherwise could not.  I did that when I was on vacation last week, and had 10 hours of time to get things done without worrying that I wasn't spending enough time with DD.  She was entertained at her sitter's house.  I understand your guilt feelings.  I thought about picking DD up early, but resisted and had a very productive day.  I say enjoy your alone time!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Ditto what everyone else is saying.  Enjoy some time to yourself!  You can be productive and get lots of stuff done or you can do nothing at all but enjoy the quiet.  Either way, don't feel guilty!  Every mom needs a break sometimes!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I agree, take some time for yourself!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"