Austin Babies
Options

? for Ferber moms

When you say your DC is STTN, does this mean straight through the night without waking up, or does it mean sleeping for awhile but then fussing/rolling around in the crib (but not crying) for 15 minutes and then falling back asleep on his/her own?

Luke did great on Ferber for about a week and a half--slept for 6-ish hours woke to eat once and then slept for another 3-4 hours.  Now he's starting to wake 2-3 times a night, plus waking to feed.  WTF is going on???  I've read the book and can't figure out what to do now.  Help!

Re: ? for Ferber moms

• Options

When I say STTN, that's what I mean. Going to bed at 7:30 and waking up the next morning.

Before we started Ferber w/ Jack, we weaned him from his night nursing Which, as it turned out, wasn't really a nursing at all. he was eating less than 1/2 an ounce when he woke up. 

and, of course, the disclaimer: this is what worked for Jack. he wasn't really eating when he woke up, so it was easy for us to make the decision that he could sttn w/ out that nursing session. 

• Options

What you described, I would not call STTN, and is what J usually does.  For the first 3 nights, we put him down around 6:30, he woke to eat at 10, then woke up and cried around 2 or 4, but we did not go to him then.  Last night, he went down at 6:30, woke at 12:30 to eat, then slept until 6:45 and played with his blanket without crying until 7.  I'm calling that STTN. 

Our pedi told us not to feed at night anymore, but I just don't know how he could go from his last meal at 6 to 6 am.  I used to get him out of bed for the "dream feed" before we went to bed, but have stopped that since reading Healthy Sleep Habits.  Now I just wait for him to wake up hungry (which sucked last night because I was about an hour into sleep and completely groggy).  If he wakes up between then and the morning, I don't go to him because I know it's not hunger.  Only a couple of times he has managed to sleep straight through the entire night with no feeding, but that is our ultimate goal.  I know that's going to take some adjusting to make sure he gets all of his calories duing the day.  MAybe Luke is having a growth spurt?

• Loading the player...
  • Options

When we first started Ferber, Alessandra was waking up once a night to nurse. It started out around 2 and slowly moved to 3, then 4, then 5, etc. Then for a while she was waking up twice a night, once around 12 and again around 6. I was apparently running in too fast for the earlier waking because when I gave her about 5-10 minutes, she'd go back to sleep on her own. She was just fussing, not crying. We're back to sleeping until around 6, and she nurses and goes back to sleep until 9, which is nice because I don't want to be up for the day at 6.

Are you going in every time he wakes up or is he going back to sleep on his own? I hear Alessandra on the monitor every now and then, but she's not fully awake and puts herself back to sleep really fast (like less than a minute usually). If she makes a loud enough noise in her sleep to activate the monitor, it wakes me up, and I listen for a few minutes, and she usually puts herself back to sleep. If she full out cries, I go in to check on her, but that hasn't happened in a while.

imageLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"