Attachment Parenting
Options

"Must be a breastfed baby."

At dinner last night, an old man walked pased and stopped to coo at N, then said, "Look how well behaived she is! Must be a breastfed baby."

I was beaming. I would never say that to a stranger because of how taboo of a topic it has become, but I thought that was funny/weird and at the same time made me feel really good.

Re: "Must be a breastfed baby."

• Options
    I had a woman say something like that once -- she said she could tell just by looking at DD that she was a breastfed baby. So weird, I thought, but it made me feel good at the same time.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickerscharlatti's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    Are FF babies not well behaved? I have many friends who FF and their babies are MUCH more calm than my EBF DS lol. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    That would make me feel good, too!  Luckily, DS is a very good baby but he only gets a little BM and mostly formula, lol.  Maybe those first two weeks of EBFing did a little something even though I was starving him.
    My best friend, my husband, my everything
    Matthew Kevin
    7/31/83-7/20/11 image
    Met 1/8/00
    Engaged 4/21/06
    Married 9/29/07
    Two beautiful legacies: Noah Matthew (2 yrs) and Chloe Marcella (8 mos)
    Day Three
  • Options

That's so cute!

I can't wait until I'm old and can say whatever I'm thinking Wink

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imagemanda_mullins:
    Are FF babies not well behaved? I have many friends who FF and their babies are MUCH more calm than my EBF DS lol. 

Same here! That guy must just know lots of calm-tempered BF babies.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickerscharlatti's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options

I'm glad that he made you smile, but I think that's a pretty terrible thing to say to someone without knowing if they breastfeed or not.  It's almost like a judgement disguised as a compliment.

Of course, I'm sensitive on the topic because of my low-supply issues, and probably would have cried if someone said that to me, lol.

I will say, though.  Out of the people I know with babies, the breastfed ones are all MORE fussy....so I'm with the others on that one, lol.

But, I am SO glad that your baby is calm-tempered!

TTC #1 for one year with annovulation....
    Clomid Cycle #1: 50mg = BFP
    =Beautiful baby girl born May 23, 2009
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    TTC#2: BFP Cycle #1, no fertility meds!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Wow, I would be proud to if someone said that to me.  I know there are definately reasons people can't BF.  But I had a lot of trouble in the begining and 8 months later I'm pretty dang proud of it. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Last year DS's Dermatologist said "He's so happy, I can tell he's a breasfed baby."  You're right it does feel good.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

• Options
    I agree.  I would take it as a compliment.
  • Options
    imageHopingForOne:

I'm glad that he made you smile, but I think that's a pretty terrible thing to say to someone without knowing if they breastfeed or not.  It's almost like a judgement disguised as a compliment.

That's what I was thinking.  What a terrible thing to say.

Can you imagine if he said the opposite, "Hey what a calm baby, he must be FF."  You'd be up in arms!

Either way it's ridiculous.  BF does not make a calm baby.  I think we're all educated enough to know that.

• Options
    imagebrideofaussie:
    imageHopingForOne:

Can you imagine if he said the opposite, "Hey what a calm baby, he must be FF."  You'd be up in arms!

Either way it's ridiculous.  BF does not make a calm baby.  I think we're all educated enough to know that.

Be up in arms?  No I wouldn't.  i would chuckle and think, "hmm.  how funny" after he walked by.  It's not ridiculous.  It is one measly person's opinion.  Certainly not worth, "up in arms!"

• Options
    imagesusanmosley:
    imagebrideofaussie:
    imageHopingForOne:

Be up in arms?  No I wouldn't.  i would chuckle and think, "hmm.  how funny" after he walked by.  It's not ridiculous.  It is one measly person's opinion.  Certainly not worth, "up in arms!"

if you'd think "how funny" if he said FF babies were well behaved, why wouldn't you say it when he said BF babies were well behaved?

My point was that b/c it's not true there is no reason to take it as a compliment b/c as the PP said, it is also a backhanded criticism of those who FF.

It's like when I was pg people would say to me, "Oh your baby will be nice and calm b/c you and DH are calm."  While that was a nice thing to say, it is completely untrue. 

Just like a strange old man telling you your baby is well behaved is nice, saying it's b/c you BF is completely and utterly untrue and does a disservice to women who FF.

• Options
    It was an odd comment for someone to make, but I don't think the OP was trying to piss anybody off by posting this.  It feels good when other people validate our parenting choices.  I couldn't bf either, but I'm not offended. 
  • Options

imagemrszee2b:
    It was an odd comment for someone to make, but I don't think the OP was trying to piss anybody off by posting this.  It feels good when other people validate our parenting choices.  I couldn't bf either, but I'm not offended. 

Thanks for clarifying that for me! I did think it was an odd comment and the first thing out of my mouth when he walked away was something to the effect of old people having no sensors and that I would never say that to someone. None-the-less I did take it as a compliment and I'm sorry if that offends you.

• Options
    image7river7wed7:

imagemrszee2b:

Thanks for clarifying that for me! I did think it was an odd comment and the first thing out of my mouth when he walked away was something to the effect of old people having no sensors and that I would never say that to someone. None-the-less I did take it as a compliment and I'm sorry if that offends you.

It's not offensive, just surprising to me.  It just perpetuates bad, outdated stereotypes.
  • Options
    imagebrideofaussie:
    image7river7wed7:

imagemrszee2b:

It's not offensive, just surprising to me.  It just perpetuates bad, outdated stereotypes.

big eye roll 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"