Attachment Parenting

teaching at child's school

I teach at a school across the street from my home. (the front door of the school and my front door line up from across the street) 

DH says that sending DS to school there is AP gone too far.  I love the idea of him being in the same building as me.  There are 800 students at this school k-8, and three classrooms per grade.  I would never be teaching him. WDYT?  

Does AP end after LO starts kindergarten.  Will I be hindering his social growth? 

Re: teaching at child's school

• I dont think it would hinder ANY social growth and I dont think its taking it to far.

Why would you go out of your way to send your LO somewhere else when there is a school across the street?

• imageSoonToBeTabor:

I dont think it would hinder ANY social growth and I dont think its taking it to far.

Why would you go out of your way to send your LO somewhere else when there is a school across the street?

Yes 

• Loading the player...
  • I've known plenty of parents who taught in the same school their child attended - and I wouldn't classify them as AP.

You definitely won't be hindering his social growth.  And how nice to have school and work so close!

• If you are ok with it, go for it. I wouldn't want to do it later on like when he is in middle or high school but elementary sounds like a good thing. I don't really connect it with AP though.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I grew up in a small town. It was more or less impossible for teachers' kids to avoid having their parents. (When your dad is the only science teacher etc...) My cousins went to a small school. They had their mom as a teacher. I don't think it (having their parents as teacher) has  harmed any of the kids I knew growing up or my cousins.

So I think you need to do what's right for your family.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Okay, slightly different situation, but similar.  In high school, I went to the same school that BOTH of my parents taught at.  And I had my mom as a teacher THREE TIMES.  That part isn't ideal, but being at the same school as your parent (especially a school that size) really isn't a huge issue.  And I was a teenager, so if anything, I should have had more problems with it, lol.

If you think it will work, you'll make it work.

TTC #1 for one year with annovulation....
    Clomid Cycle #1: 50mg = BFP
    =Beautiful baby girl born May 23, 2009
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    TTC#2: BFP Cycle #1, no fertility meds!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • P.S. It wasn't ideal having my mom as a teacher because she marked me HARDER than everyone else.  And yet, I still got the top mark in the class, so everyone thought it was favourtism.  Drove me crazy!
    TTC #1 for one year with annovulation....
    Clomid Cycle #1: 50mg = BFP
    =Beautiful baby girl born May 23, 2009
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    TTC#2: BFP Cycle #1, no fertility meds!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'm a teacher and plan on sending DD to my school. I have many coworkers whose kids are attending our school as well. We have an unwritten rule that the kids can't be in their parent's class ~ little more difficult in my case as I teach k-8 tech, but it's a once/week special for elementary wo I don't see it as a problem.
  • My mom worked at one of my schools and it was great.
    imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers image
  • I went to a parochial school k-8 and my mom was a teacher. No big deal at all.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"