Attachment Parenting

ergo or beco?

I have some extra money that I've been saving up and I want to get another carrier. We use a loveyduds wrap and love it. But I'd like something that is easier for multiple stops out, quick on and off. I'm leaning towards the ergo since if I get tan or brown I know that my husband will use it. He uses the wrap all the time and Julia thinks it is halirous! 

I guess I'm just hesitant to buy since I can't try it on first. I'm 5'0 and have a short torso. Julia likes to face out in the wrap and I'm not sure how she'll like not being able to do that. Ugh...decisions! Any advice?? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: ergo or beco?

• I really like my Ergo, but it is not as "quick-on-and-off" as I thought it would be.  There are four different places you have to snap together to get it on, and then you have to tighten the straps to get it just right.  Granted, to someone used to using wraps (and I love me those wraps, too!) that is a heck of a lot faster, but I'm just saying.  

Also, with a smaller baby who can't sit in it yet (you're not supposed to put them in it with legs out until 6 months) it isn't as comfortable as I had heard Ergos are, but I know it's because with E's legs under him "froggy style" he ends up putting more pressure on my shoulders and less weight is carried by my hips.  That will get better when he's older.

All that being said, I really do like mine a lot, and I anticipate liking it even more when E is big enough to sit in it properly.  I hope that's helpful!

• we love our beco and in fact, my husband uses it a lot more than I do and because he likes it so much, he's always the one carrying her when we're out together.  ours is the orange with brown owls, a pretty GN fabric.

The reason we opted for the Beco over the Ergo is because my husband is not comfortable with doing a hip scoot or any other unassisted back carry where balancing the baby is involved (although I'm totally fine doing that.)  So the selling point for us was being able to secure Marion into the panel on the Beco and then put her on our backs.

• Loading the player...
  • imageMizMac:

I really like my Ergo, but it is not as "quick-on-and-off" as I thought it would be.  There are four different places you have to snap together to get it on, and then you have to tighten the straps to get it just right. 

Is this the case when wearing on back? I've only worn my Ergo Sport in the front carry, but I only ever snap/unsnap the waist strap and the chest strap. And the chest strap is the only one I have to loosen up before putting it back on (and then I re-tighten). The waist strap I can just unbuckle without giving any slack.

• I think you will find people that really like both. I don't think you can go wrong with either. Is there anyway that you can try them on? 

We have the Beco. My dh doesn't wear ds but I still have a pretty tame looking one...a blue pattern. I like the way ds is in the panel thing, it seems so secure.  I am very happy with my purchase.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Ergo.  Hands down.
  • imageMizMac:

I really like my Ergo, but it is not as "quick-on-and-off" as I thought it would be.  There are four different places you have to snap together to get it on, and then you have to tighten the straps to get it just right. 

um, i only snap two places...i can't think of four.  and when i'm running errands, i just leave it around my waist, so there's only one.  i've never feel the need to adjust straps. either...uness dh has been wearing it. 

• imagemomquixote:
    imageMizMac:

Is this the case when wearing on back? I've only worn my Ergo Sport in the front carry, but I only ever snap/unsnap the waist strap and the chest strap. And the chest strap is the only one I have to loosen up before putting it back on (and then I re-tighten). The waist strap I can just unbuckle without giving any slack.

I use the Ergo in the front carry, and it literally takes me 2 minutes to put it on completely, and less than one minute to take it off.  I can do this by myself, standing up, while holding my baby.  I LOVE my Ergo.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • i ordered a beco a couple days ago -- still waiting for it.  the place i purchased from has a 30 day return policy.  you never know what will work for you/baby, so mayve go this route?  link is here: 
    https://www.theportablebaby.com/becobabycarriers.html

plus it comes with a free waist pouch ;) 

• A lot of people say the Beco works better if you're really petite.  I know a lot of moms IRL who have the Ergo who are tiny and can't get the Ergo to cinch down enough for them.  It's great for their husbands but is not a great fit on them. 

If you have a store, then definitely check them out or you can even try to find a babywearer meeting to go to and check them out.  

image Ethan 12.31.07 Lillian 4.1.11
  • imageAlirebco:

A lot of people say the Beco works better if you're really petite.  I know a lot of moms IRL who have the Ergo who are tiny and can't get the Ergo to cinch down enough for them.  It's great for their husbands but is not a great fit on them. 

If you have a store, then definitely check them out or you can even try to find a babywearer meeting to go to and check them out.  

See...I don't get this.  I have plenty of friends who are tiny and use it and LOVE the Ergo.  I'm not tall and my dh is...I love that it works for both of us.  I also love that I can nurse in it...something I couldn't do in a Beco.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"