Attachment Parenting

Help for my sister (breastfeeding)

Since my daughter's baby was born, a little over 3 months ago, she has been exclusively breastfeeding (except for during one hospital stay). But she has CONSTANTLY been having mastitis problems, and even worse, bleeding in one of her breasts.  It's been so bad that her baby's stomach got so irritated, and her vomit was so thick that she was aspirating it and had to go to the hospital.  That's how bad it's been.

No matter what my sister has done, the problem keeps coming back.  Today, when she went to pump, her breast was gushing blood.  So she said, she's done with that boob.  For now, she'll feed off of one side and supplement  a bit with formula.

Questions...

1. Do you think it's possible that her "good" breast will be able to produce enough to feed the baby exclusively?

2. What can she do, in the meantime, with the "bad" breast?  Is she stops pumping and lets the breast engorge that could make mastitis worse, can't it?  So does she just "suck it up" and pump through the discomfort, and maybe just do so less often?

Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated.

TTC #1 for one year with annovulation....
Clomid Cycle #1: 50mg = BFP
=Beautiful baby girl born May 23, 2009
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
TTC#2: BFP Cycle #1, no fertility meds!
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Help for my sister (breastfeeding)

• I am really sorry for her.  That sounds miserable.

In response to #1, our pedi told us that historically speaking, our bodies are prepared to feed two babies, hence two breasts.  So, if you only use one, it will typically do an adequate job adjusting to the needs of one baby.

As for question 2, I don't know.  But I too would assume that quitting cold turkey could cause more difficulty.  I would think you would need to pump and fade that out gradually.

GL to her. 

• I'm impressed she is still trying!  That sound seriously difficult. . .

1. I've heard of many people who have nursed on only one breast. It is supply and demand, so if the demand goes up on one side, so should the supply.

2. I would talk to her OB, an LC, or someone.  It sounds like she could have a serious condition, honestly.  And if she keeps getting mastitis, I would think cutting cold turkey would make things worse (at least in the short term) rather than better since the milk is no longer being drained.  Like pp suggested, maybe easing off that side with pumping only?

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks ladies.

And yes, I'm impressed with her too!  But I think she saw me struggle so much with breastfeeding (low supply) and frig around with a lactation aid that she just thought "I'm lucky to produce enough and I better not take it for granted".  'But it's wearing on her, and she feels guilty for giving formula.  Which is terrible (to feel that way).

I'll let her know about the website.

She has talked to LC and doctors, just not yet about the most recent problem.  However, I am not sure if she's even given the breast quite enough of a "break" and has maybe gone back to breastfeeding too quickly from it (without realizing it).  Just a guess as to why maybe it hasn't been healing?  It probably seemed healed, but really wasn't...I don't know, just guessing!

I'll suggest to her to keep pumping a bit just so she doesn't get engorged, for now, until she can see her doctor again.

Her poor baby was throwing up blood today because of it, so now she feels guilty because of THAT too.  Poor girl.

• Uh, yeah, my first line of my original post should read "my SISTER'S baby".

Sorry for the confusion

• She needs to talk to an LC!
  • I had mastitis once & was told to nurse & pump like crazy for a few days to get the infection out. The last thing you want to do is get engorged as it will make the mastitis worse. 

Ditto pp who said to see a really good LC. And if she doesn't have a current infection, she could maybe keep pumping but gradually taper it off so she doesn't get to engorged. She's probably going to need some help from an LC to properly wean off the boob that's causing problems.

Good luck to her & she's really persevered so far. She should get a medal. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • There's actually an article on mothering.com right now about a woman who had only one functioning breast and was able to EBF all five of her kids. Great timing- maybe you could send it to your sis for encouragement?

https://mothering.com/breastfeeding/one-breast-enough

Kudos to her for her perseverance and dedication to breastfeeding her child. GL to her!

• I was just about to suggest the mothering article.  Its a great read.

A friend of mine had huge issues with right breast and fed only from the left with no real problems.  She weaned at 6 months, which may have been earlier than intended, but maybe not.

I wish her luck and a speedy recovery.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"