Breastfeeding

Clothes to breastfeed in

Hi! I'm planning on breastfeeding for the first time and I was wondering what I needed in the way of clothing. I bought a nursing tank today and looked at some bras.  When I was looking at the bras, though, I started wondering about what good a bra would be if I had a shirt that wasn't nursing-friendly.  Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks :)
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Clothes to breastfeed in

• I've found wearing a tank under regular shirts to work best for me - I found it easier to NIP that way.  I'm pretty small chested so support wasn't a huge issue for me.

The long glamourmom tanks are my favorites.  I like the Target tanks as well, especially for sleeping or hanging out around the house.

• I am in love with my nursing tanks.  I bought 3 Gilligan O'Malley ones from Target while I was pregnant, and I just bought 3 more, I just wear cardigans or hoodies with them, and they have a built in bra.  The one nursing bra I bought while pregnant did not fit correctly, so I just bought a Bravado one now that my milk has came in.  The nursing tanks are really nice, as you can wear them all day and then sleep in them, and wear them under regular clothing to make BF'ing easy.
  • Loading the player...
  • Before you have the baby just buy a few of the Gilligan & O'Malley built in bra nursing tanks from Target.  Have those on hand for the hospital and the first few days home.

After that, go out and buy a few nursing bras -- you'll know your size by then.

As for what to wear, I just wear regular shirts over a nursing bra.  I prefer deep v-neck t-shirts because I'd rather pull my shirt down and expose just a boob than pull my shirt up and expose a tummy and a boob.

Occasionally I'll wear a tank under a shirt so that I can pull the shirt up and the tank down -- that way just my nipple is exposed, and since DD covers that, I'm pretty covered even without a cover.  I'll do this if I'm going to be hanging out at a friend's house and nursing, but if I nurse in public I'll use a nursing cover.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Apparently the doll needed a time out... image
  • Old Navy is having a sale right now, and they have a couple nursing shirts. I got, as previously mentioned, the Gillian O malley tanks, and since I'm home recovering from a c-section they are fabulous. I plan on pulling all of my button front shirts to the front of the closet as well.
  • I hated all the nursing bras I tried so I just wear a regular demi-cup bra - I like the cotton ones from Victoria's Secret because the fabric is soft & flexible enough that I can just pull it down comfortably, and they're plenty supportive. I also wear a regular tank under a regular shirt - I pull the shirt up and the tank down so I'm not exposing belly. Or just wear v-neck tops that I can pull down.
  • I always wore a nursing bra - always, every single day... and then I just wore whatever shirt I wanted... if it was one that had a wide neck that I could just pull down, I was fine. ?If it was a shirt that I would need to lift, I wore a stretchy cami underneath (the ones from the Limited are my favorite because they are seamless, fitted and really stretchy - and they look great for layered looks.) ?I took my Bebe Au Lait everywhere, so I could just cover up with that and because I either pulled my shirt down, or lifted it with a tank, my back / midsection was never exposed.

I don't know, I never let nursing dictate what I wore... I just figured out a way to still nurse and it worked out fine for two kids.

I hated nursing tanks. ?Bought one, hated it - gave it to a friend who loved them.?

• I bought 3 gilligan o'malley tanks from target and 4 of their bras.  I also bought a nursing bra from victoria secrets (only online)  that I absolutely love because it looks like a real bra and it looks great under tight shirts.  I bought some nursing shirts from old navy that I love, a few from motherhood that were much cuter so I wear those when I want to be more dressy.  Then I bought some low cut shirts at target on the clearance racks.  Now that it's cold I am wearing the tanks from target under long sleeve shirts, so that my tummy stays covered.  Good luck! 
  • imageBeanieWeanie:
    I hated all the nursing bras I tried so I just wear a regular demi-cup bra - I like the cotton ones from Victoria's Secret because the fabric is soft & flexible enough that I can just pull it down comfortably, and they're plenty supportive. I also wear a regular tank under a regular shirt - I pull the shirt up and the tank down so I'm not exposing belly. Or just wear v-neck tops that I can pull down.

I'd be careful of this. . .the bra wears out pretty fast if you use a regular one.  Just my experience.  

• Bravado for bras/tanks

Glamourmom for tanks

www.gap.com

motherhood

motherwear.com 

for nursing shirts.

I also wear henly shirts & a nursing tank. I am large chested and found wearing a regular shirt & pulling it up/over to be a pain. I know tons of people who went without nursing shirts, but I've found them to be amazingly helpful. IMO

I live in nursing tanks at home, so comfortable. But not nearly enough support to wear out for me. HTH!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"