Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Melting almond bark for treats - did I ruin it?

I have 2 packages of that vanilla candy coating stuff... I was melting it in the microwave at 1 min intervals, stirring in between.

It went from almost all melted to now firmer hard'ish mealy stuff.

I imagine I crossed that magic sugar cooking line and it's ruined? This is the 2nd batch of the crap I've tried to melt. NO time to go back to the store. Treats must finish tonite.  It's in a double boiler thing now. uugh.

HELP!

Join us - Commit Random Acts of Kindness, and say "I did it for Cricket" Cricket's Cadence

Re: Melting almond bark for treats - did I ruin it?

• did you accidentally get water in it?  Sometimes that can affect the texture. You may have just gotten it too hot though, and cooked it, which unfortunately ruins it.  Better to very slowly and gently heat it.

sorry to not be of more help. 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • It sounds like it has that nasty burnt texture to it, so I would say you ruined it. I could be wrong, though.

Next time, you need to try melting at 20 second intervals in the microwave and stirring before you pop it back in.That is my tried and true method with melting chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, etc.  

• Loading the player...
  • if it does not taste burnt you might be able to save it with a small amount of oil
    IMG_6388
    Kylie 10/21/08
    Twin Ectopic - lost left tube 12/29/10
    Surprise BFP EDD 8/21/13
  • imageJenn478:
    if it does not taste burnt you might be able to save it with a small amount of oil

I second this.  Mix a little Crisco in.

• imageJenn478:
    if it does not taste burnt you might be able to save it with a small amount of oil

Ditto this. It sounds like it got some moisture in it and seized. Some flavorless vegetable or canola oil, or a little plain Crisco, might save it.

Did you by any chance add some butter or margarine to it? The moisture content in either of those can cause problems. Or maybe there was a little moisture in the bowl from the dishwasher or something.

• nope, no moisture. shoot. I just skipped dunking the rice krispie ghosts in it, and wrapped them all up. but I'll try the crisco treat, cuz I'm cheap like that and don't want to waste all the dip.

Thanks!

Join us - Commit Random Acts of Kindness, and say "I did it for Cricket" Cricket's Cadence
  • imageDavezWife:

nope, no moisture. shoot. I just skipped dunking the rice krispie ghosts in it, and wrapped them all up. but I'll try the crisco treat, cuz I'm cheap like that and don't want to waste all the dip.

Thanks!

Just re-read. You're using a double boiler? There's your moisture. They can be tricky. If the heat is at all too high or there is a teaspoon too much water in the bottom, the steam condenses in the chocolate and makes it seize.

Except that now I'm re-reading again, and you originally miked it.

Okay, I've got nothing.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"