Breastfeeding

Best pump - manual and electric

I am going to be a SHAM once our son arrives, but i cannot pick a pump. I want an electric, but its $$$. Is it worth it or should I just manually pump. I need advice on both. Which one do you use? and Do you love it?

Re: Best pump - manual and electric

• It depends on how often you think you will use it...if it's just for leaving the occasional bottle at home, you don't need anything fancy.  I pump at work so that I can keep nursing Jack and I have the medela PISA.  It's awesome...but was very expensive!
  • I have both an electric and a manual. I mainly use the manual because of the fact that I pump at work and my Medela Harmony Manual Pump is quiet and is actually faster than my electric pump. I have the Playtex Petite Electric Pump that is not hands free. It works just fine but I'd rather use my Medela
  • Loading the player...
  • I would just wait on the the pump until you're ready for it.  You just never know how the BF will go.  That being said, I have a double electric and have to pump 20 minutes (still) for good output.  That would be a good workout for your hands!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I am a SAHM  & used the Medela Harmony w/o issue.  I never built up a big stash or anything.  If I was going out for the night/a few hours I would start pumping like a week out to make sure I had enough milk for my outing w/o messing up my supply (you don't want to go out for the night just to have your boobs explode on you while you are out to dinner because you have pumped so much/so quickly that your supply goes thru the roof.)

The Harmony lets you pump@ 2 different suction levels (like the good electric pumps do) the shorter/lighter level gets you to let down, then slower/deeper level to draw out more milk. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I breast feed and pump. I have an Advent Isis. I actually like it a lot I had a cheap electric pump that was loud and inefficient. My advent is quiet quick and efficient.  I pump 3xs a day so needless to say I have strong hands, lol. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I also SAH, and I have the Lansinoh Double Electric.  It's about $130 on amazon, cheaper some other places online.  Much cheaper than a Medela, which I think would be wasted if you're not planning to pump all the time.  Wait to buy it, though.  You want to make sure you're able to nurse, and that you won't have to EP -- in which case you'd probably want a Medela.

I think you should have both an electric and a manual.  I have the Lansinoh manual -- I had it on hand when DD was born, so I used it to help with initial engorgement.  They're cheap, only about $30.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Apparently the doll needed a time out... image
  • imageKarBear:
    I would just wait on the the pump until you're ready for it.  You just never know how the BF will go.  That being said, I have a double electric and have to pump 20 minutes (still) for good output.  That would be a good workout for your hands!

This. I waited until after the birth and needed it. I got the Medela PISA and love it. I used two separate BRU coupons.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"