Snarky and T-TTC

q: attachment parenting

I just saw the board with that name, what is it? i could google it but i'm technically not even supposed to be on here so can't use google much.

Re: q: attachment parenting

• It's the latest trend in parenting methods. I believe there are 7 credos (I was wrong, there are 8). From wiki:

Per Dr. Sears' theory of attachment parenting (AP), proponents such as the API attempt to foster a secure bond with their children by promoting eight principles which are identified as goals for parents to strive for. These eight principles are:

1. Preparation for Pregnancy, Birth and Parenting
    2. Feed with Love and Respect
    3. Respond with Sensitivity
    4. Use Nurturing Touch
    5. Ensure Safe Sleep, Physically and Emotionally
    6. Provide Consistent Loving Care
    7. Practice Positive Discipline
    8. Strive for Balance in Personal and Family Life

These values are interpreted in a variety of ways. Many attachment parents also choose to live a natural family living (NFL) lifestyle, such as natural childbirth, home birth, stay-at-home parenting, co-sleeping, breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling, unschooling, the anti-circumcision movement, natural health, cooperative movements, naturism and support of organic and local foods.

However, Dr. Sears does not require a parent to strictly follow any set of rules, instead encouraging parents to be creative in responding to their child's needs. Attachment parenting, outside the guise of Dr. Sears, focuses on responses that support secure attachments.

• wow thank you!! Some of the 8 seem natural to me although I guess they aren't always. Very interesting and probably something I should think about. Yikes, I know almost everything about "getting" pregnant but apparently not a lot about raising the baby. Huh. I'll be doing research tonight (although I have lots of time)!!!  Thank you!
  • Loading the player...
  • imagehopefulrockygirl:
    wow thank you!! Some of the 8 seem natural to me although I guess they aren't always. Very interesting and probably something I should think about. Yikes, I know almost everything about "getting" pregnant but apparently not a lot about raising the baby. Huh. I'll be doing research tonight (although I have lots of time)!!!  Thank you!

I think having a parenting method is a little extreme, but I'll probably get flamed for saying that.

Some of it is pretty common sense, so I don't see an issue with it.

• I'd consider myself an attachment parent, but its not like I consult a book for every decision. I've familiarised myself with the basic philosophy of the "method" and its in line with what I believe, so its easier to say that we practice attachment parenting than to list all the things that entails.
  • I like that. Its a good point. I think it puts less stress on you then trying to follow along with the book.

By the way I remember you from LONG time ago, your son is adorable!!!!

• imageE_sharp:
    I'd consider myself an attachment parent, but its not like I consult a book for every decision. I've familiarised myself with the basic philosophy of the "method" and its in line with what I believe, so its easier to say that we practice attachment parenting than to list all the things that entails.

Ditto. There are a few APers from this board. To us it's just a natural way to parent.

imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers image
  • I'd consider us APs based on the principles listed above and how we respond to our son.   However, we don't co-sleep or breastfeed, so take that for what you will.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• imageDr.Loretta:

These values are interpreted in a variety of ways. Many attachment parents also choose to live a natural family living (NFL) lifestyle, such as natural childbirth, home birth, stay-at-home parenting, co-sleeping, breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling, unschooling, the anti-circumcision movement, natural health, cooperative movements, naturism and support of organic and local foods.

Actually, we don't do a lot of those things now I look at how it is intepreted by some, but whatever. :)

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Reading the principles, the seem really general and common sense. Like good mantras to remember when you have those tough days. 

It seems there is a movement that takes it to the uber-granola-extreme with all the things DrL mentioned, plus another one I saw called "elimination communication" and it initially turned me off.

However, it seems most on the board live by the principles, interpreting in a way that works for their babies and their lives. And, to me, that's just "smart parenting."

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"