Blended Families

Blended Family question

My DH has a son,13, who I love, treat and talk as he is my own. He is very excited about the baby and even more that it's a boy. I actually like the age gap b/c my sister and my brother have a 12 year age gap and their relationship growing up and now is so strong and she is much like a mentor to my brother. So I look forward my SS and my LO having the same relationship. My concern is not with my SS; it's with me. I'm so scared I will show more love to my LO compared to my SS. I know the love for each other will be different b/c my LO is mine and I'll have him from birth. I know the baby and my SS will have different needs and we will include him with the baby. But I really don't want to show any different to either one of them.

Anyone else have a similar situation and give advise?

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers image

Re: Blended Family question

• I doubt it will be an issue. You're going to show love differently to them simply because one is a teenager and the other is a baby. If you SS was a toddler or even 6 or so, it might be an issue. But I think you'll do fine, especially as you are thinking about it now.

Click me, click me!
  • I don't think you have to worry about this. Just being aware that this could be an issue, is half the battle and you already have a special relationship with SS and you clearly love him.  Yes, it will be different, but if you continue to work on your close relationship with your SS, I think it will all work out fine.

• Loading the player...
  • I think you are overanalyzing. It sounds like you already love your SS to death, that is not going to change once your baby arrives. You will have a different bond with your baby its just a function of getting to know your LO before they are even born and being mom instead of SM.

If you think about it, parents have different bonds with their bio children too. Just make sure that you continue to love and nurture your relationship with your SS after your LO is born.

Don't worry too much about it, you will be fine.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"