Preemies

hello flashbacks.

I'm at work and someone's cell phone must have a tone for a message (voicemail or text message or something) that sounds a *LOT* like the ventilator alarm. You know the two-tone dinging alarm when they're exhaling against the breaths?

I heard it and BOOM! I'm back in the NICU and feeling anxious.

It went off about 10 times before whoever it was gone to it. I was about to come undone.

Re: hello flashbacks.

• Trish, all I know is, if I hear one more destat alarm go off, I am going to shoot myself. I finally asked them to turn off the alarm last night - HELLO, we know his oxygen is low, is a constant alarm necessary?!
  • next time toss it out the window. wow, i hated that sound for a long time...
  • Loading the player...
  • Ugh. SBM. that just brought tears to my eyes. You poor thing.

Robbie's been back in the hospital a couple of times for stomach issues, and they always would hook him up to the monitors again. When he was in for FTT in February, his resting heartrate was lower than their setting, so it would alarm all night long. I was a freaking WRECK.

• I hate that sound.

And I'm sorry SBM that you have to hear it again. Nobody should ever have to hear it, especially a 2nd time!

• I hated that sound even when it wasn't my baby.  I was like you aren't moving fast enough to the nurses!
  • Unqualified diagnosis:  PTSD!  (sorry I teach Psychology)
  • Oh God, how awful!! For both you, Tricia and SBM.

If I never hear another breathing, heartrate, temperature or sat alarm again it will be too soon. I think I would crumple into a heap if I heard those noises.

• Ugh, I hate it too and will always remember those sounds. When Sam was in Children's after his fall last winter, I asked them to turn it off as well. Not only was it waking him up, but it was too much for me.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"