Adoption

NAR: Book recs?

I am leaving for an overseas business trip Monday (boo hoo...sniff...sniff).  All in all, I will be en route for about 25-30 hours.

I'm looking for some good book recommendations.  Any suggestions?

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: NAR: Book recs?

• Jodi Picoult-any books

Nelson Demille-any books

The Glass Castle

The Shack

• Good ones fred! I forgot about "Water For Elephants'

and Janet Evanovich is good too, hilarious...really easy, light reading.

• Loading the player...
  • I really like A Tree Grows in Brooklyn and Time Traveller's Wife.  If you haven't read The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns they are also really good.  I love anything by Lisa See - Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, Shanghai Girls, and Peony in Love.

If you want something that's easy to digest/light reading the Sookie Stackhouse novels are a fun read.

• What is a kindle?  I am intrigued.

I've read Water for Elephants, and agree it is a good one.  I also like the Time Traveler's Wife and Kite Runner.  I have the Splendid Suns book, and completely forgot about it.  I haven't read it yet, so thanks for the reminder!  

As for the "type" of book I like, that's hard to say.  I like all of the ones I just mentioned if that helps. 

As long as a book isn't about about a mother leaving her child for 11 days as she travels around the world for work, I will probably like it. Smile

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Anything by Janet Evanovich

I fell into the Twilight saga, so there's always that if you're so inclined

Anything by Jane Austen

• The Namesake

When Heaven and Earth Changed Places

Shes Come Undone

• I'm reading Sophie Kinsella right now which is fun.

Also, check out thebookbio for some good recommendations.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• imagecrystalpopcorn:

What is a kindle?  I am intrigued.

I've read Water for Elephants, and agree it is a good one.  I also like the Time Traveler's Wife and Kite Runner.  I have the Splendid Suns book, and completely forgot about it.  I haven't read it yet, so thanks for the reminder!  

As for the "type" of book I like, that's hard to say.  I like all of the ones I just mentioned if that helps. 

As long as a book isn't about about a mother leaving her child for 11 days as she travels around the world for work, I will probably like it. Smile

Definitely read A Thousand Splendid Suns.  I actually liked it better than The Kite Runner -- it's great.

If you like mysteries, I recently happened upon the Justin and Cuddy books by Michael Malone, and I liked them.  There are three: Uncivil Seasons, Time's Witness and First Lady.

• Great book recs!

The Namesake was mentioned...great and so is Interpreter of  Maladies by Lahiri (sp?).

Infidel is also fantastic!!  Highly recommend it.

I love The Red Tent by Anita Dimant.  It is based on a biblical story but it's more about the strength of women.

The Secret Lives of Bees is a quick and enjoyable read if you've yet to read it.

AJ Jacob's is a favorite fun author of mine.  He has a new book out w/"guinea pigs" in the title.  I enjoyed "A Year of Living Biblically" and his encycolpedia book.  His writing is fun and informative.

My Life in France by Julia Child

Loving Frank by Nancy Horan

and for something A-related, Digging to America by Anne Tyler.  I enjoyed it...dealt with Korean adoptions.

image Best friends and sisters... 24 months and 16 months
  • Mary Kay Andrews has some wonderful books such as "Hissy Fit" and "Savannah Blues." I just started reading her stuff and can't put it down!

I also like "Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister" and "Mirror Mirror" by Gregory Maguire...he takes classic fairy tales and tells them from the point of view from someone other than the main character..."Confessions" is Cinderella as told by one of the stepsisters.

If you liked the movie "The Devil Wears Prada" you'll like "Everyone Worth Knowing" or "Chasing Harry Winston" by Lauren Weisberger...she wrote all three!

• I love She's Come Undone...I've read it 4 times and listened to it as a book on tape when I was driving across the country!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"