Adoption

Formula question for those adopting from Korea

When we got our son last week, SWS gave us 2 canisters of Maeil QT3 formula which should last 10 days.  I want to start mixing it with an american formula to ease the transition, but I have no idea what the american equivalent would be.  The label is in Korean and the website is no help.  I don't even know if it's soy or milk based.  I'm assuming our son isn't lactose intolerant since his foster family gave him cheese, so I think mixing it with similac would be ok.  I have an appointment with a pediatrician that specializes in international adoptions on Monday, but I want to get a head start on the transition now. My brother went to a couple of the asian markets here in town and they don't carry it here in the states.

Does anyone know what the Maeil US equivalent is? 

Re: Formula question for those adopting from Korea

• my search brought up a blog about a family that has adopted from South Korea, but the only thing I saw is that it can't be sold in the US because it's not approved by the FDA
  • My sister in law mixed with a basic formula (I don't know if it was similac or enfamil), but he did end up being lactose intolerant and went to soy. He was 10 months, so it wasn't long until he was on soy milk.

I would guess that you start with a basic and try mixing, starting with 75% korean, 25% american. If it upsets his tummy, you might try the gentlease version.

How old is he? Congratulations! I hope that your first week is going well!

Charlotte Elizabeth - March 15, 2009
    Natalie Kate - October 4, 2011
    Blighted ovum, d&c at 9w, July 2012
    Blighted ovum, d&c at 10w, September 2013
    BFP May 28, EDD February 4, 2015
  • Loading the player...
  • It's milk-based unless otherwise specified. Most Asians don't develop lactose intolerance until they're older.

I've heard that Target brand is the closest American formula, but I never used it, and neither of my kids were fussy AT ALL--I could switch brands with no issues. I also never mixed Korean and American formulas with #1 (didn't have enough Korean formula after the trip).

We used Kirkland, which is Costco's house brand with #2. Generic formula is fine (unless you need special formula, which SWS would have indicated)--it's pretty much all the same.

Oh, and NEVER buy formula at the grocery store--it's WAAAAAY more expensive there than at Walgreen's or Target.

• I can't answer your question, but just wanted to say Congrats on the arrival of your son!!!

We're adopting from Korea too, but we still have a ways to go! We are on the verge of finalizing our homestudy report.

After 5 years of TTC, 3 IUIs, 5 IVFs, 2 FETs, multiple losses and an adoption that wasn
  • Good Luck and welcome home.
  • We also came home with 3 cans and our son was heavy enough that we were told to do half milk and half formula and when the korean formula was gone it was gone......I have heard that korean formula is very very sweet and that the target brand is the closest......if your peds agrees I would try to do 50 korean 50 american and then slowly work it to 75 american 25 korean and then all american by that time the korean formula should be gone or you will be on whole milk.  GOOD LUCK!!!! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"