Adoption

WWYD-Traveling for Baby....

OK-DH and I are starting to plan our trip to pick up baby.  Being that we are flying the weekend after Thanksgiving-we need to make a decision ASAP before tickets skyrocket because of holiday traveling. 

Would you buy 2 one-ways or buy a round trip?  Obviously we don't know exactly how long we are going to be there for because of the ICPC paperwork.  If we buy a round trip-we will buy it for the longest we could possibly be there for and then change it for sooner if we find out we can leave and pay the penalties of changing the flight and the difference in airfare.  Or do we risk flights possibly being crazy high and buy 2 one ways?

Thoughts?

Re: WWYD-Traveling for Baby....

• See if you can buy an open-ended ticket. Usually one-way fares are more expensive.

This is one time I wouldn't try to buy online but would talk to someone to see what my options were.

• I agree with pp.  Thats a really hard call!  =(

"I have four children. Two are adopted. I forget which two. -Bob Constantine

"All for Love,' a Saviour prayed 'Abba Father have Your way. Though they know not what they do...Let the Cross draw men to You...."

• Loading the player...
  • I called a travel agent-she said it was a crapshoot either way!

WHAT HELP WAS SHE?!?! Hmm

• image*Erin&Mike*:

I called a travel agent-she said it was a crapshoot either way!

WHAT HELP WAS SHE?!?! Hmm

Call the airline.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• call the airline...also somewhere far back in my memory I remember that a few airlines offer discounted tickets for adoption. I just can't remember which ones.
  • Definitely call around to the airlines.  We were pleasantly surprised.  We booked tickets to Seoul, Korea with about a week's notice to travel and they weren't that much more expensive than if we had booked a long time in advance.  I've heard that airlines are really hurting right now and there are a lot of deals to be had.
  • We were able to do Southwest and that helped us a lot as their tickets don't seem to fluctuate as much (at least for our cities) and you can change them like an hour before departure with no penalties. We ended up doing US Airways on the way back because we got a ridiculously low price the night before we were to fly and saved our SW tickets for another trip. We had to change our flights quite a few times going out for the first adoption and I can only imagine how much money we would have lost. Good luck. That's a hard one. 
  • (lurker here...)

Definitely call the airline reservations line directly and explain your situation. I've read that some airlines have adoption discounts and whatnot to help you with travel, since you have to be more open-ended in your travels back and forth. You might even get a reservationist that is sympathetic to your impending motherhood and can get you a deal.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    BFP/Labor/Everything Buddy: Papetvet/Erpetdoc
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"