Working Moms

Phrases my interviewer said yesterday when interviewing me:

"We're a workaholic culture here.  It's not uncommon to get emails from your boss that you need to answer at 11pm on a Sunday." Indifferent

After her asking me and me answering what I do in my spare time, my boss to be says: "I can't even think about what I do in my spare time since all I do is work now."  Indifferent

The position was for a Director of New Products at an education company and I'm currently a Product Manager for an online company.  While I'd love to "move up" at a new company, the pay would be barely $5k more according to the impression I got from her and I would need to be a workaholic.  Ummm, no thanks, I'll just hope I get the 10% raise here that I asked for in July and was told may happen in February instead.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Phrases my interviewer said yesterday when interviewing me:

• $5K is not worth giving up your life!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would run away! If that is what they are TELLING you I'm sure it's actually worse. Wow.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Well, at least she's making it clear what her expectations are for the job.  She could have lied and said it was a place with work/life balance and then the first week on the job you'd find out the truth. It's nice to move up, but you have to weigh all the costs, not just salary.  Hopefully you'll get that raise!

• Hey, at least they were honest but I would RUN as far away as possible!
  • imagejc&cat:
    I would run away! If that is what they are TELLING you I'm sure it's actually worse. Wow.

This is exactly what I thought!  It has to actually be worse.  And I ran, I ran so far away...Stick out tongue 

This "Stanford MBA" woman surely didn't know how to interview either.  Ugh.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Yea! I'm with you - kick that position to the curb and move on.
  • That would have made me get up and run for the door.  No thank you.  Like pp's said, luckily she was honest and up front w/ you!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • As a Recruiter, you don't want to talk down the position which is what they did. I am all for disclosing the ugly but that would make anyone run.
  • For an extra $5k - ha. Not in a million years. After taxes that number goes down too. If you look at it from a per hour perspective you'd probably be making significantly less than you do now. Run!
  • I Interviewed for a job like that once and heard stuff like that in the interview.  The naive idiot that I was thought, "oh, it can't be that bad...surely they are just exaggerating."  Nope, it was that bad, they were pretty much weeding out the dead weight.  Every single thing they told me in the interview that made me go Indifferent turned out to be absolutely true.

I still worked there for 2 years because the pay was great. But it soon got to me.

• OMG that sounds horrible and why in the heck would anyone accept that job based on the things she said.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"