North Carolina Babies

Steer me in the right direction please

Hi girls!  I mainly stay on the NC Nesties page, but lurk over here occasionally, and figured I'd introduce myself! 

DH and I have have decided we'd like to TTC in the next few months, but first I really need some direction....I know about the book TCOYF, but what else would you recommend? 

Specifically, I'm interested in the difference between an OB/GYN, a midwife and a doula.  I also am very curious about natural birth and water births.  I've just found out that the gyn I"ve been seeing doesn't deliver babies (which I'm bummed about) so I'm looking to find something else...she mentioned a midwife "place" - but I don't really know what that is?  Can you help a girl out? Thanks for reading this far!

imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: Steer me in the right direction please

• Welcome to the baby board! I know the authors of What to Expect wrote a book about pre-pregnancy, I can't recall the title.

As far as natural births, midwives etc. I have heard good things about Ricki Lake's book "Your Best Birth." I have not read it myself but I saw her on the Doctor's and liked what she had to say. =)

In Chapel Hill there is a Birthing Center and UNC has a practice of Midwives. I'm not sure of those type of places in the Charlotte area.

GL TTC and have fun!!!

image Caleb is 3! 101 in 1001
  • I am going to the Women's Birth and Wellness Center in Chapel Hill.  We're hoping for a water birth too.  Also, in order to prepare for natural childbirth we're taking Bradley Birthing Classes.  You can e-mail me at kitty_84210 at msn dot com if you want more detailed information and opinions of what I've experienced so far.

Here are some sites for the stuff I mentioned above:   https://www.ncbirthcenter.com/index.html

https://www.bradleybirth.com/Main.aspx

• Loading the player...
  • Midwives in NC have to work with a Dr and are actually Registered Nurse Midwives.  There are a few practices in Charlotte that offer midwives...not sure of names but Im sure there are some ladys who can help you out.

A Doula (my understanding of it anyway) does not necessarily have a medical background nor do they have to work with a Dr.  Think of them like a coach -- a labor partner to get you through labor and delivery. 

• I only read TCYOF. It's probably all you need until you get PG. Once I got PG, I then read the Mayo Clinic Guide to PG [purple cover]. I preferred to go with an OBGYN. I was interested in being medicated during my delivery, and thank GAWD I was. ;-) Katie's head was in the wrong position, so while I had 20 minutes of wishing I were dead with my delivery, I think I would have had hours of wishing that had I gone with a midwife. ;-)

Katie, Duke Gardens, 6months

ry%3D400

Zach, Duke Gardens, 6months

ry%3D400

Photo courtesy from the amazing Ever You Photography!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"