Los Angeles Babies
Options

H1N1 and Flu Vaccines

I'm a first time mom, yeay!

With everything being told to us by the media and goverment, I don't know really what to do, about what? Well, I'm 10 weeks pregnant, and I don't know if I should get the Flu and H1N1 vaccines. I've heard many different sides, and now I'm confused.

Does anyone have an input?

Thanks Tongue Tied

Re: H1N1 and Flu Vaccines

• Options

Have you talked to your obgyn about it? 

I am not getting the vaccines, just b/c I don't think the flu and H1N1 are as dangerous as being portraited.  I am just going to continue with my hand washings and good hygiene.  My obgyn had not mention a thing about flu and H1N1.

But we are getting them for our 15 months DD b/c she always put her hands everywhere and then in her mouth.  And we are just not sure how well her immune system can handle the flu and H1N1 viruses.  Her pedi recommended it as well.

• Options
    I got both them, and I just feel it is better to have them. You never know. I wish you the best  .Big Smile
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I agree that it's confusing b/c media has been reporting that pregnant women are in the high priority category for the H1N1 shot. I spoke with my doc about these shots and was advised to get the flu shot but not the H1N1. Apparently the docs at my hospital are still discussing whether or not it's safe for us pregnant women to get it, so advise to hold off for the time being.

• Options

I am totally confused and stressing about what to do as well. My ob actually recommended the opposite. I told him I was not comfortable getting both at the same time and he said I should get H1N1 immed. and reg flu in a few weeks.

I have been thinking about it and decided to ONLY get the reg flu shot because of unknown side effects of H1N1.

• Options
    I got the H1N1 vaccine a week and a half ago and have had no side effects. I am glad that I got it because I wound up at a Halloween party with someone who was recovering from it (why she was there I still have no idea). I also work at 2 elementary schools so felt like it would be easier to contract. My OB at first did not recommend it but reversed her opinion after more information and recommendation for pregnant women came out. I know that they will have one coming out soon without thimeresol (mercury), if that is any part of your concern. 
  • Options
    I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet either....I'm only just 5 weeks along, and maybe those getting it do not have any side-effects yet, but what about long term effects on your LO??  No one can give any definitive answers, I think that the decision is one that you, your DH just have to make based on what you believe or know to be true, along with your docs advice...I'm leaning toward not getting either, but am still on the fence....Sorry, I know this post doesn't help very much....
  • Options
    I got mine at the 1st clinic the county held.  My friend knows two people who died from it, so as soon as I heard the story about the first (a 28 yr old girl) I ran out and got the shot.  I'm a lot more at ease now - especially since this is just another strain of flu put into the standard flu shot (the "seasonal" flu shot is just the H3N2 strain).  Had I been in my first trimester, I would have had a much harder decision to make since the baby is still differentiating.  But anything you do is a cost-benefit analysis.
  • Options

I got mine. I rather be safe than sorry.

My co-workers wife who is 7 months pregnant didn't get the shot and she was diagnosed with the swine flu, she has been in the hospital for a week now.  

• Options
    I am 25 weeks pregnant and I have not gotten either the H1N1 or the regular flu shot.  I am allergic to eggs and all flu shots have an egg base.  I can eat eggs, but my doctors do not want to inject it into my system.  I am also a teacher and I have had 3 cases in my classroom alone.   I am just trying my best to wash my hands and get plenty of rest.  I have never gotten a flu shot and I don't necessarily know if I would get it if I was not allergic. 
  • Options
    I'm waiting for my doctor to get the H1N1 at the office but every doctor I have talked to is now recommending it heavily. I have to admit I'm still nervous about a "new" shot but it is based on the old flu shot. I did get my flu shot a month or so ago, you just have to make sure to let the provider know you are pregnant as you can't get the one with the mercury which not all doctors offices or phramacies carry the right one (Walgreen's had the right one). I have gotten the flu shot every year for the past 4-5 years because of working in an office and the fact I often travel during the holiday season. I have yet to have a side effect or have the flu (knock on wood).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"