Houston Babies
Options

Working mommies

How do you and your DH handle who wakes up in the middle of the night for feedings?

We are doing every other night and I am finally able to catch up on  my sleep compared to when I was on maternity leave when I was getting up every night during the work week.

Re: Working mommies

• Options
    It's all me when the new baby is born.  DH works nights so there is no choice in our household.  The nights that he is off, he wll wake up with the baby.
    imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

imageAggieDee:
    It's all me when the new baby is born.  DH works nights so there is no choice in our household.  The nights that he is off, he wll wake up with the baby.

AggieDee...that is going to be tough.

I am so grateful that my DH is able to help out and did so even while I was on leave.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    We were really lucky that F was STTN when I went back to work.  In the early days, DH would take the real early morning feeding (like 5am) so that I could get a 6 hour stretch of sleep.  I would pump first thing when I woke up to keep my freezer stash up.
    Finley Anne ~ 11.9.2008
    So Tasty, So Yummy
  • Options
    We don't have any sort of method.  Even when I was home on leave he would get up from time to time.  At that point I was nursing him in the middle of the night so it often fell to me but if I had been up with him for a while DH would step in.  DS mainly sleeps through the night now but if he wakes up it is kind of who ever gets out of bed 1st.  The monitor is on my side so I might do it a little more often.  If he wakes up multiple times we kind of take turns. 
  • Options

imagereadyforbaby:
    We don't have any sort of method.  Even when I was home on leave he would get up from time to time.  At that point I was nursing him in the middle of the night so it often fell to me but if I had been up with him for a while DH would step in.  DS mainly sleeps through the night now but if he wakes up it is kind of who ever gets out of bed 1st.  The monitor is on my side so I might do it a little more often.  If he wakes up multiple times we kind of take turns. 

This exactly.

• Options
    I usually wouldd, guess it was just instinctual, sometimes DH would if I was super tired.
  • Options
    Up until the last few weeks I was nursing in the night so I did all the wake ups.  Now DH does them all.  It is very nice to finally be able to spend the whole night in my bed.
  • Options
    I get up with DS in the middle of the night.  I'm still nursing so logistically it just works best for now (even though I'm a zombie somedays).  You will figure out what works best. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

With Alex DH got up a lot, especially the first half of the night, so that I could get decent sleep. (DH is more of a night person than I am)
    With Foster I was breastfeeding, so I got up.  Luckily, Foster was a much better sleeper and so much easier to get back to sleep after a feeding. 

Mom to Alex - 8.29.06, Foster - 1.22.09, Emily - 6.24.11 imageimageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

With new babies, we've always tag-teamed. He fetches and diapers; I feed.

It is a system born from my last c-section being so hard to recover from. We just continue because it is familiar and heads off resentment. :)

When I go back to work and the baby's schedule balances out a bit, I tend to do more at night by myself. It doesn't take as many feedings to make it through the night at that point, so it isn't as tiring.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"